5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HOW HARD IS IT THE PUT MANUAL TRANNY IN AUTOMATIC CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:05 PM
chmiller85

Cool HOW HARD IS IT THE PUT MANUAL TRANNY IN AUTOMATIC CAR?

THE AUTOMATIC TRANNY HAS FINALLY WENT OUT ON MY CAR, A GUY I WORK WITH WANTS TO SELL ME A MANUAL TRANNY FOR A GOOD PRICE WITH ALL THE STUFF I NEED TO PUT IT IN MY CAR. IS THERE ANYONE THAT HAS DONE THIS BEFORE? I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ALL DO I HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE CAR THE TRANNY COMING OUT? AND WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO MY CAR DO GET THIS TO WORK? THANKS TO ANYONE THAT REPLYS.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

WHY ARE YOU TYPING IN ALL CAPS???

if you are compentent enough to do a clutch change then you can convert an auto car over to 5spd, the hardest part of the swap is installing the pedal assembly.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:31 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
the hardest part of the swap is installing the pedal assembly.
and even that isn't hard

Last edited by mustangsneverdie; 06-25-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Put a built C4 or AOD in the car and you will throw rocks at a 5 speed
Old 06-25-2009, 10:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

GOOGLE , there is tons of info on this subject
Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 AM
kilby94
2nd Gear Member

I just got done doing this same thing. There is a ton of good info on the net.. I agree that the hardest part is doing the pedal swap. Also you will need a t-5 crossmember, exhaust hanger, output yolk, and reverse light wire harness. Also if your car was an original auto, you will have to open the shifter hole in the body a little so the shifter will clear.. You need to reuse the auto computer (A9P) with t-5.. You also need to move the speedometer cable to a different hole through the firewall so the clutch cable can come through where the speedo cable was originally.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by kilby94
I just got done doing this same thing. There is a ton of good info on the net.. I agree that the hardest part is doing the pedal swap. Also you will need a t-5 crossmember, exhaust hanger, output yolk, and reverse light wire harness. Also if your car was an original auto, you will have to open the shifter hole in the body a little so the shifter will clear.. You need to reuse the auto computer (A9P) with t-5.. You also need to move the speedometer cable to a different hole through the firewall so the clutch cable can come through where the speedo cable was originally.

i didnt need any of the bolded parts, the crossmember can be used by grinding the spot welds loose and adjusting it to where you need it to be.

the yoke on the driveshaft is the same

and my reverse harness plugged right into my t5, after i disconnected the extension harness from it, all my backup lights etc work perfect
Old 06-26-2009, 03:13 PM
kilby94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
i didnt need any of the bolded parts, the crossmember can be used by grinding the spot welds loose and adjusting it to where you need it to be.

the yoke on the driveshaft is the same

and my reverse harness plugged right into my t5, after i disconnected the extension harness from it, all my backup lights etc work perfect
You can grind and reweld the cross member, but if he can get it off the other car?? Less work..

I swapped to a 28 spline tko i wasn't sure if AOD and t-5 were interchangeable..

Once again, if he can get the 12" long brake light harness off the donor car.. Why not?
Old 06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Put a built C4 or AOD in the car and you will throw rocks at a 5 speed
I agree. I just had an AOD built with custom convertor and with just H/C/I the car flat out rips now.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:08 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Wink

Put a small stall converter and a stage 2 shift kit in that auto, you'll probably change you mind about the swap

Quick Reply: HOW HARD IS IT THE PUT MANUAL TRANNY IN AUTOMATIC CAR?