5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

"Cam Talk" with Patsfan34!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Patsfan34
1st Gear Member

Default "Cam Talk" with Patsfan34!!!

So here's the deal. I'm about to spend some money on my top end. Initially I was going to just upgrade my intake because I need to take the stock one off anyway cause I think I'm leaking a little oil either from the stock intake or valve covers I was just going to upgrade to the GT40 intake that I just bought. Then the other day I came across a set of TF Twisted wedge heads that I now know I'm getting an outstanding deal on. So here's the dilemma. What cam will give me the best power? My long term goal is to redo the whole engine down the road and then slap a Paxton on it. But for the short term I just want to redo the top end and hope I don't blow this thing up.

There's alot of different views on the right cam and I just want to hear what everyone has to say and then I'll make an educated decision!

Thanks a million everyone!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I'm a trick flow fan so I would say just use their stage 1 cam and be done. Just be sure to get new pushrods and some roller rockers while your at it.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'm not a fan of the 169.00 dolla' performance......here is your best bet......www.flowtechinduction.com or www.camshaftinnovations.com
Old 07-22-2009, 11:24 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I found a similar deal on Holley systemax heads with roller rockers that I couldn't pass up. After going over the same cam delima that you did my motor guy said go with the trickflow stage 1 as well but this is in a sn95 5.0 and our ECUs are funny.

It is ready to go to get dynotuned tomorrow or friday and I can't wait to see it.

have you or are you upgrading the injectors? I did but I also went with a ported cobra intake and some shorty headers at the same time.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Patsfan34
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
I found a similar deal on Holley systemax heads with roller rockers that I couldn't pass up. After going over the same cam delima that you did my motor guy said go with the trickflow stage 1 as well but this is in a sn95 5.0 and our ECUs are funny.

It is ready to go to get dynotuned tomorrow or friday and I can't wait to see it.

have you or are you upgrading the injectors? I did but I also went with a ported cobra intake and some shorty headers at the same time.
Once I tear this motor down I'm gonna try to decipher what injectors are on it already. The previous owner did a significant amount of upgrades on this car and it has all new chrome or stainless fuel rails and plumbing. The injectors do not look stock but I may be wrong. If they are the original injectors and need to be upgraded I will change them. I already have BBK shortie headers on there with an off road x-pipe and flowmasters.

I'm excited for you man! Make sure you post your dyno numbers or send me a PM with your numbers.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I agree with mjr here, I say spend a few extra dollars on a custom grind and you wont be disappointed.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Patsfan34
Once I tear this motor down I'm gonna try to decipher what injectors are on it already. The previous owner did a significant amount of upgrades on this car and it has all new chrome or stainless fuel rails and plumbing. The injectors do not look stock but I may be wrong. If they are the original injectors and need to be upgraded I will change them. I already have BBK shortie headers on there with an off road x-pipe and flowmasters.

I'm excited for you man! Make sure you post your dyno numbers or send me a PM with your numbers.
Your not as excited as me as the car has went down over a year ago when a bolt broke in the factory head while exchanging intakes. There will be a post with numbers and a vid when I get it back and finally get out of it.....
Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what color are the injectors??
Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by ttocs
Your not as excited as me as the car has went down over a year ago when a bolt broke in the factory head while exchanging intakes. There will be a post with numbers and a vid when I get it back and finally get out of it.....

It has taken you over a year to extract a bolt? That sucks.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Patsfan34
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
what color are the injectors??
There are a dark yellow/orange color. The have a Ford stamp and on one side it says denso, the other side has the part # F1ZE-C2A. I'm assuming these are not stock because they look pretty new and the fuel rails and all the plumbing looks very new as well. Any good? Need to replace them with my H/C/I swap? I hope I can use them!

Quick Reply: "Cam Talk" with Patsfan34!!!