5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

rocker arms are a nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:13 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Default rocker arms are a nightmare!

Ok so i was up all night putting in my new crane energizer 1.7 roller rockers. i bought new springs with the instal to replace the worn out stock ones like i was told. To replace the spring i got a tool that plugs into the spark plug to fill it with air to keep the valve up or down i forget. but i got all the springs on, installed the rocker arms. i tightend the rocker arms till it was snug and got out the toqgue wrench to torque it to 20ftlbs. we made sure we didnt have to turn the torque wrench more than one turn..if we did we used the shims. so we got everything on there put everything back together and start the car. this thing starks clanking and knocking like crazy. so we shut it off. we waited up till 9 in the morning when the speed shop opened and set out to buy some valve covers because we were sure thats what was causing it to do this. it was hitting the valve cover. get there and talk to a guy who has put this set of RR on 94's all the time and said the only thing you need to do is take out the oil baffle on the passenger side valve cover. so we go back home pop off the valve cover and theres not a mark on there where anything is hitting. so we take the baffle off anyway and put everything back together. when i told the guy what it was doing he also said there might not be any oil up in everything and to wait a minute it should go away. so we got it all put back together and start it. the same thing happends a very loud clanking/knocking noise. the car will hold a stedy idle then it will fall off a little bit then bump back up. i let it run for a good 2 minutes to see if it would go away but nothing happend. when i gave it gas up to like 2000 rpm it pretty much went away and then came back at idle. what should i do? i gave up on the car for the day. i am way too tired.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:42 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: rocker arms are a nightmare!

readjust the valves
Old 07-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

your shims could be causing you some issues. when you shim the rockers it actually makes teh pushrod smaller[not really but for the tightness] check the piston to valve clearence.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:47 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

i didnt need to shim my RR
Old 07-07-2005, 11:46 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Alright how do i readjust my valves? the heads and everything are still on the car. if the shims could be causing it what do i do? i read the directions and it said tighten with a socket until snug. then use the torque wrench at 20ftlbs and turn it. if it turns more than 1 whole turn then it needs a shim. does this sound right? i have no clue what i should do. also the piston to valve clearence how do i check this?the only thing i took off the car was the upper manifold and had to take all the spark plugs out and back in. is it possible to check the valves and piston/valve clearence with just the manifold off and valve covers off? thanks for the help. stanglx2002 why didnt you have to use shims? just wondering because if i could get away with it i would like to do without them.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

when i did my motor i didn shim them. i was more worried about them being too short. i would take the shims out honestly. bring each set of lifters up then do the rockers. snug them up check the pushrod for movement then torque them to 20ftlbs
Old 07-08-2005, 01:05 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

when i did my motor i didn shim them. i was more worried about them being too short. i would take the shims out honestly. bring each set of lifters up then do the rockers. snug them up check the pushrod for movement then torque them to 20ftlbs
thats what i did with mine too
Old 07-08-2005, 01:49 AM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

so i should take the valve covers off take off the 2 RR per cylinder, take out that spark plug on the cylinder get it at top dead center then put on the roller rocker and tighten to 20ftlbs. repeat this step for each cylinder? would this cause that much knocking and clanking noise? just hopeing its this because i have spend way to much time on these springs and rocker arms. Also what if the push rod moves then what do i do? is it okay to use no shims no matter how much you have to tighten the rocker as long as its at 20ftlbs? thank you for the help. i hope to go in there and get this all done right and be done with it. by the way how do you guys like the 1.7 RR? noticable difference?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:22 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

well i got 1.72s and a semi built motor. as for my motor and how i like it i cant answer that. im still waiting on my K member to come in before i install the motor then i need my steering rack along with my struts. so about 1g away from the car running
Old 07-08-2005, 02:25 AM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

ooh alright well good luck with that. as far as my idea of how to get it fixed is that ok? will that work

Quick Reply: rocker arms are a nightmare!