5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Possible pressure plate or throw out bearing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 PM
88Mustang351W
1st Gear Member

Angry Possible pressure plate or throw out bearing problem?

Okay I have a Fox w/ a 351W And 5 speed
I was hearing some chatter at first I think it was the throw out bearing now when I use my clutch the sound is horrid and it will make my car cut off if I keep the clutch in, The car is fine as long as no clutch is used or as long as you press it give it gas while you're pressing it and switch gears, Does anyone know what this could be any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I've had a few people say my throw out bearing could have locked up? Is this possible?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:35 PM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

the best thing to do is take it apart. i wouldnt drive it any longer.check everything.pilot bearings usually will cause a chatter.sounds like the friction disc may be in backwards.the spring drum is facing the tranny right??????
Old 08-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

I'm sort of having a related problem. I was told it was possibly the Pressure Plate but I was thinking it's the clutch cable.
Rather than making any noise, it is just occasionally being a pain in the *** to shift into gear(especially first), and I'm having to put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. It is worse when it's hot.
I was thinking maybe the clutch cable needed to be adjusted, but I haven't gotten any concrete information on the subject. Some say it indeed CAN be adjusted in an 88 Mustang GT, and some say it's self-adjusting and cannot.
Trying to figure this out. =[

Last edited by Mattalicious; 08-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

def. sounds like the cable.when does the car start moving??? at the floor? half way up?or near the top ? (clutch pedal position)
Old 08-30-2009, 06:32 PM
88Mustang351W
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mattalicious
I'm sort of having a related problem. I was told it was possibly the Pressure Plate but I was thinking it's the clutch cable.
Rather than making any noise, it is just occasionally being a pain in the *** to shift into gear(especially first), and I'm having to put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. It is worse when it's hot.
I was thinking maybe the clutch cable needed to be adjusted, but I haven't gotten any concrete information on the subject. Some say it indeed CAN be adjusted in an 88 Mustang GT, and some say it's self-adjusting and cannot.
Trying to figure this out. =[
I'm having this EXACT problem, It's a pain to shift gears and its worse when its hot i believe because when i first start it I don't even really hear the chatter?

And I just got this car I traded my Honda Civic for it I was ready for some power and RWD but this is my 3rd day and we've got trouble

The clutch lets out about 1/4 way up from the floor
Old 08-30-2009, 06:52 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

remember its older than ur honda and its probably been beat alot harder...

like said above take it apart before more damage occurs.

pick up a haynes manual and start wrenching.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Same here. The clutch engages/car starts moving about 2 inches(1/4 or so) from the floor.
Good to know. I was worried, considering the clutch in my car is very new(put in 3 months ago). Which brings me to my next question, can it be adjusted without buying the aftermarket adjustment..thingie(I forget its' name), or will I need to get a new cable?
Sorry, not trying to hi-jack the thread. Hopefully this helps 88Mustang351w also. =]
Old 08-30-2009, 07:07 PM
88Mustang351W
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 93 LX FiveO
remember its older than ur honda and its probably been beat alot harder...

like said above take it apart before more damage occurs.

pick up a haynes manual and start wrenching.
yeah I haven't been driving it I plan to tear the tranny out tomorrow everyones saying it sounds like the throw out bearing so I'm going to try that
Old 08-30-2009, 07:08 PM
88Mustang351W
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mattalicious
Same here. The clutch engages/car starts moving about 2 inches(1/4 or so) from the floor.
Good to know. I was worried, considering the clutch in my car is very new(put in 3 months ago). Which brings me to my next question, can it be adjusted without buying the aftermarket adjustment..thingie(I forget its' name), or will I need to get a new cable?
Sorry, not trying to hi-jack the thread. Hopefully this helps 88Mustang351w also. =]
From what I hear there is some kind of firewall adjuster but I'm not sure I did look under mine and it looked like you could possibly add washers to it and that'd be a way to adjust it but I'm sure there is an easier way!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88Mustang351W
From what I hear there is some kind of firewall adjuster but I'm not sure I did look under mine and it looked like you could possibly add washers to it and that'd be a way to adjust it but I'm sure there is an easier way!
Yeah. I went and drove my friend's 87' Mustang over the weekend and he was showing me his adjuster thingie. Just crossing my fingers hoping there's a way to adjust it otherwise. He said there is, and he might be able to help me with it sometime this week. Unfortunately this car is my DD and my only way to and from work.
If the cable does need to be replaced, how much do they run, and what is a good brand to get?

Quick Reply: Possible pressure plate or throw out bearing problem?