Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 LX
Question TFI module relocation kits?

Are these available anywhere? im sick of my module getting heatsoaked. I just changed mine a few months ago and already it seems like my current one is acting up during this summer heat.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1986 LX, 87 GT Hatch, 89 GT Vert
Send a message via AIM to mattdel

you wouldn't be able to just unbolt it and move it. it plugs into the distributor. you'd have to get a distributor from a 94-95, the wiring harness, a new TFI for that year, etc...

if you really want to do it, its possible to do with the stuff you have now, with the proper electrical connectors, extra wiring, etc.. but it's gonna look hacked.
The problem is extending the TFI harness so that you could relocate the TFI to a cooler spot. As it sits, the TFI harness is way too short to go anywhere else. Cutting & splicing it to extend it may pose problems since you don't see the ground shield that is inside the harness unless you cut the harness up. The ground shield protects the computer from EMI coming from the spark plug wiring.

Last edited by mattdel; 09-01-2009 at 06:36 PM.
mattdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Just read this.. might be of some interest to you.

"Go to a yard and pull the TFI and Heatsink and harness from a 92-94 E150 302 or 351. The harness is really long and when you remove the TFI from your Mustang the harness plugs right in."
Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

doesn't seem like such a worthwhile attempt if i have to remove and install a new wiring harness...

im going to buy another module... 2nd one this year and see how it rides out in this summer heat.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
mattdel
6th Gear Member

The PIP module inside the distributor is also susceptable to heat problems. Might be worth replacing that too. Little more involved of a replacement than the TFI but its not too hard.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1987 Ford Mustang

yea, I was going to mention the pip as well. I had the same problem with my car. The tfi module helped the problem, but did not eliminate it, until I replaced the entire dizzy.
1987 T-Top GT. MSD Pro-Billet dizzy, MSD coil(junk), magnaflow cat-back, Pro-Kit Springs, Full Length Subframe Connectors, BBK Fenderwell CAI, HP Blues all around, Steeda adj. clutch cable, Firewall Adjuster and Billet Quadrant.
Coming soon... 31spl rear w/4.10's
Riceinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdel View Post
The PIP module inside the distributor is also susceptable to heat problems. Might be worth replacing that too. Little more involved of a replacement than the TFI but its not too hard.
is the PIP module the same as the stator aka pickup coil? if so, i replaced it a month or two ago and the car ran great for a bit. the problem came back, but not so dramatic as to leave me stranded. now it's just the occasional stutter, buck or shut off.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah, stator, pickup coil, PIP, all the same. your problems might be stemming from elsewhere, though. whats the symptoms?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

when hot, the car will hesitate or stutter under load. sometimes at a stop, even with light acceleration it'll bog down and shut off. wont turn on for a few seconds but eventually catches again.

even when cruising in a gear on the highway or street, it'll just hesitate for a fraction of a second. If i go WOT, it'll accelerate, stutter, accelerate even more, stutter, accelerate more. WOT in increments, lol. it sucks.

when cold it accelerates like a champ, no stutter, etc...

it all happens when its at operating temps.

edit : i dont want to throw parts at the problem, but my next guess is to replace the stock ignition coil. If that doesn't solve it, then buy yet ANOTHER tfi module. If that doesnt cut it... im looking for a new dizzy.
seems like my car just has ignition problems!

Last edited by g2_5point0; 09-01-2009 at 09:23 PM.
g2_5point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
mattdel
6th Gear Member

coil is a culprit of heat too, but much more resistance to it than the other 2 parts.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1987, 50, buy, ford, kit, module, mustang, out, pip, plug, relocate, relocation, replace, spark, stator, tfi