5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MAP Sensor or not? Where is the vacuum line?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 04:07 PM
P44E Emerald Green vert

Default MAP Sensor or not? Where is the vacuum line?

This is a 1990 LX 5.0 H.O. Mustang.I am trying to determine if indeed this is my map sensor, or barometric pressure sensor that ford called for. I am throwing a trouble code that points to this sensor being bad. But a friend of mine looked at what he believes to be the sensor, and there is or WAS no vacuum line attached. The car will not run longer than about 2-5 seconds. And it happened suddenly. I have already replaced the fuel pump, filter, alternator, battery, MASS sensor. This is the only one that it could possibly be.

Could anyone compare my photos of this piece, and where is was mounted to their car, and PLEASE tell me where the vacuum line could possibly be running to off of this sensor?

mounting location on firewall.

view of questionable sensor

view of what i believe to be where a vacuum port is located, but there was no vacuum line there.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:34 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

in MAF cars, there is no vacuum line. it becomes a BAP instead of a MAP, and reads the pressure of the ambient air. the car should still run on a default set of strategies without it, higher idle & whatnot.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:42 PM
P44E Emerald Green vert

what do u mean when u say the car should still run without it? unplug the connector? I blocked off the vacuum port on that sensor, and it ran finally, although after it warmed up it ran very rough, and the idle bounced from 700-1800. it also popped a MASS code. could the combo of the 2 make it die and not run once it it warmed up?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:47 PM
P44E Emerald Green vert

Or should I replace the unit? Oreillys carries a house brand for 48$. When u said the car should still run without it, did u mean if it malfunctions, or it u unplug the 3 pin connector? It ran perfect until it warmed up and then began to do the same things as before, for the most part. Only thing I changed was the vacuum port was capped off on the sensor.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

do not plug the port on the sensor.. its open for a reason.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:38 PM
P44E Emerald Green vert

well i replaced the MAP sensor, and still to no avail. It starts and dies immediately still. The only other thing I can try is perhaps replacing the MASS airflow sensor. 79.99 w/core charge. I can only hope this fixes the problem, frankly im tired of tryin to fix it now. It may just get set in the shed for 10 yrs and brought out when the time is right.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know I am open to any suggestions at all. Like I said the fuel pump, filter, alternator, battery, MAP (or BAP) sensor have all been replaced now. I do not have the vacuum port on the sensor plugged either. Running out of ideas( start -die) immediately.

MASS sensor perhaps.
TPS sensor perhaps.

I just dont know anymore, code 22 and 56 I believe were the two codes it threw according to my Chilton book.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

You should pull some codes before you start throwing parts and money at an unknown problem.That could get expensive fast!
Old 09-05-2009, 11:04 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

The MAF has nothing to do with the cranking and initial start of the car.

Will the car stay running if you give it gas right after starting it?

*edit* code 56 is indeed a maf failure code however
Old 09-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, I didn't see that you already had codes. I would start checking for a vacuum leak. Your vaccum hoses in the picture look like they are the original ones. Start looking for leaking or cracked ones. Check the intake gaskets, PCV, valve cover gaskets, any where unmetered air could enter. Also check all of your grounds. Clean your MAF with electronic cleaner spray. Try not to touch the sensor wires with anything
Old 09-06-2009, 06:39 AM
P44E Emerald Green vert

I have already cleaned the MAF sensor, all be it with carburetor cleaner, NO NO. I know but im so damn frustrated with it. yes all the vacuum lines are original, i have replaced a few though.

It will NOT stay running if I try to give it gas, it is INSTANTANEOUS when it starts that it dies right away.

BUT if it sits for about a MONTH and i try to start it. It will run for a good 5-10 minutes before it begins to die.

Quick Reply: MAP Sensor or not? Where is the vacuum line?