5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

88 Mustang with a side of trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Drajean

Default 88 Mustang with a side of trouble.

Hi guys, I'm back, and hoping I'll be more successful this time around. I have pictures of the mustang finally so they will be posted after my questions.

My first issue is that the car has a very low idle speed, and I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. I can't tell you how low it is because I lack a tachometer. But if I take my foot off the gas it stalls in seconds.

Next issue is that there is a part in front of the radiator that may be apart of it, but it looks as if its falling out, and the previous owner jury rigged the thing to stay up.

Also I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to get the fail-safe to deactivate so I can start the car and I wanted to know if I could set it up higher or take it out entirely. I need a new clutch cable as well, and I'll be replacing that soon, but I wanted to know if that could have anything to do with it.

The wiring in general is a mess, I need to figure out why the hazards work but the turn signal doesn't. As you can see from one of the below pictures, it didn't come with a radio, so I'd assume the previous owners took it out.

Also the trunk doesn't currently open, so if anyone wants to throw out an idea for that one that would be cool too.

Besides the BBK Cold air induction I don't think anything else is aftermarket.

Thank you guys in advance. I really appreciate the help

Old 09-11-2009, 05:44 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

that entire front end is tweaked, hard.
IMO, junk the car. there's no way that car drives straight.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Drajean

Its the only car I've got, so if its able to be fixed then I've got to fix it. The car did drive stright, drove it 64 miles to my house, no issue with pulling, however the four tires have started going flat, and it probably needs new shocks, so I've kinda been hoping that was it. But I'm a senior in high school, spent all the money I saved up for a car on this thing, I really don't need a stereo or it to look pretty, but I do need it to run well and be safe to drive. Also the street is angled oddly where I parked it. The rear end is on an incline.

I live in a town where all the jobs available are about 11 miles away, and public transit sucks, so a car is necessary.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:50 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

u got a strap on the radiator the the fender aprons r ripped
Old 09-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Drajean

The rubber bit with the hook is a battery holder if that's what you meant, you can't actually see the part I'm talking about in either of those pictures, I just realized that. The fender on the other hand is pretty screwed up. I'll see if I can get a picture of what I'm talking about later on though. But other then stating whats wrong with the car no one has told me how to fix it, I really need that information. Or if you all insist I need a price to sell it for.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:12 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

y dosent the tac work
Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drajean
The rubber bit with the hook is a battery holder if that's what you meant, you can't actually see the part I'm talking about in either of those pictures, I just realized that. The fender on the other hand is pretty screwed up. I'll see if I can get a picture of what I'm talking about later on though. But other then stating whats wrong with the car no one has told me how to fix it, I really need that information. Or if you all insist I need a price to sell it for.
The actual body of the car(what you CAN'T replace) is ripped, not the fender.

I don't know if I could compile that much damage on a stang no matter how badly I abused it. Unless I ran it into something.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:01 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

oh the front of that car hit something hard
Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

Hope you didn't pay too much! You can change your idle speed by setting your timing.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Woah dude, that thing doesnt look safe. Id take every part off that thing that you could and send it to the crusher, then sell what you can.

Quick Reply: 88 Mustang with a side of trouble.