5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I am stumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 PM
sigmund

Default I am stumped

Only been around the forum for a short time, and I have not seen this issue addressed yet.

I recently purchased a '90 GT 5 speed, and I am making it a rolling restoration. I replaced the front brakes with wagner pads and had the rotors turned. When I put it back to gether, I felt a vibration when braking. So, I pulled them off, had them turned again, and the left front had a "high" spot on it, so they turned it again. It took care of the vibration, but I started hearing a thump, thump when I was braking. Thinking it was still the rotor, I purchased a $40, 1 years warantee rotor from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. I installed it with a new grease seal, plenty of grease, and installed correctly. Then my problem started.

When I reached 25 mph, a chirping sound starts from the front wheel area where the new rotor was installed. It continues and increases in volume with speed. It sounds like a belt slipping, but when I put the car in neutral at 45 mph, and it continues. I press hard on the brakes, and it continues until the car slows to below 25 mph.

My mechanic friend drove it and thinks it has to be a function of the $40 rotor. So, today, I took the that rotor off, got a new $40 rotor from O'Reilly, and installed it. It did not stop the chirping. I am stumped. I need some more suggestion from you experinced Mustang mechanics.

One other thing I did that could have caused some chirping is that I took it to the car wash and pressure sprayed some of the engine compartment to start detailing it before installing the new rotor. I did spray under the car at the front of the engine to spray some of the grease off. The chirping almost sounds like I washed grease off of something that is a function of rolling, but I don't know what that could be.

Help. The chirping noice is annoying me.

Any suggestions?

Sigmund
Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

When you installed the new seal, did you put a light coating of grease on the seal contact area. A dry seal can do what you are describing.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 PM
sigmund

Good thought, but I did put a light coat of grease on the outside of the seal and the inside also.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Have you looked at the integrity of the wheel bearings? What condition are the brake pads in? The cotter key isn't rubbing the inside of the duct cap is it? Maybe try putting the old rotor back on and see if the noise goes away. maybe there's a defect in the workmanship of the new rotor.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 PM
sigmund

Good suggestions. I will check the things you mentioned. I will probably try installing the old rotor to see if the chirping ends. The pads are new wagner premium ones. But it sure could be the integrity of the chinese made rotor.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any more?

Last edited by sigmund; 09-18-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

9 times out of ten it's the backing place slightly contacting the rotor, bend it away or remove rotor and inspectg it for any rub marks
Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 PM
sigmund

When I took the rotor off, I could find no rub marks on the backing plate or any place it was touching the rotor. I am still stumped. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sigmund
Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

jack it up and spin the wheel and see what you can hear
Old 09-19-2009, 06:08 AM
sigmund

I have spun the wheel and no unusual sounds come out. Just pads on rotor sound.

Please keep up the suggestions because I am stumped.

Sigmund
Old 09-19-2009, 10:14 AM
sigmund

Today, I put the rotor that was on the car when I bought it back on, and the chirping was still there. I closely examined the backing plate and there was no sign of touching the rotor. I examined both rotors, and not sign of anything touchin it. I thought it could be the new wagner premium brake pads, but that does not make sense. When I apply the brake hard, the chriping does not change. It seems like if it were the pads, the chirping would go away under heavey braking.

I am still open to any suggestions. The chirping sounds like something rubbing lightly on something rolling.

Again, I am stumped.

Sigmund

Quick Reply: I am stumped