5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So, what is fried?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Default So, what is fried?

Well, if you were on Grand AVE today between the times of 5:00PM-6:30PM you will know that there was a ****load of traffic. Well, today I was the traffic jam as my car just completely cut out on me while going home from ASU.

Car drove fine in the morning though the battery gauge was a little low but nothing unusual. When I came afterschool, go to start the car and nothing. Battery's dead...Ok. Guy with a Jetta jumps me and I get the car going. The battery gauge starts climbing as I'm driving and I think that I'll be fine.

Boy was I wrong. As I stop at a stoplight my radio goes off and I notice that my RPM gauge isn't reading and the battery gauge is flatlined. Joy. Drive and get to 67th and Grand before the car just dies completely.

Anyways towed it home and took out the battery and alternator. Got the alt tested and it failed so got a new alt and new battery. Installed both and expect things to be alright but no. The car starts right up but the battery gauge is in the red and the AMP light is on.

What is going on?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
Well, if you were on Grand AVE today between the times of 5:00PM-6:30PM you will know that there was a ****load of traffic. Well, today I was the traffic jam as my car just completely cut out on me while going home from ASU.

Car drove fine in the morning though the battery gauge was a little low but nothing unusual. When I came afterschool, go to start the car and nothing. Battery's dead...Ok. Guy with a Jetta jumps me and I get the car going. The battery gauge starts climbing as I'm driving and I think that I'll be fine.

Boy was I wrong. As I stop at a stoplight my radio goes off and I notice that my RPM gauge isn't reading and the battery gauge is flatlined. Joy. Drive and get to 67th and Grand before the car just dies completely.

Anyways towed it home and took out the battery and alternator. Got the alt tested and it failed so got a new alt and new battery. Installed both and expect things to be alright but no. The car starts right up but the battery gauge is in the red and the AMP light is on.

What is going on?
Check the fusible links by the solenoid and check the pigtails for burning going into the alt.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Fusible links? Solenoid? English? XD When it comes to my electrical system, I le stupid. Let me tell you that the alt was the original.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Well after googling the pigtails, it is indeed burnt. Where would I find a replacement. Couldn't find anything on 50resto.com/
Old 09-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
Well after googling the pigtails, it is indeed burnt. Where would I find a replacement. Couldn't find anything on 50resto.com/
Any auto parts store will have them. They always send them with a new alternator when you buy them for any Ford, those were an absolutely retarded idea those pigtails...
Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

I bought a new alternator from Checkers and they didn't give me any pigtails. O.o Pig tails are the connectors that you plug into the alternator, right?
Old 09-29-2009, 02:25 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-14290B

get some dielectric GEL, not grease, from a parts store.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

What if you have a 3G?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

If you have a 3G you wouldn't be using that connector.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Well, turns out Checkers gave me a bad alternator. Swapped it out and now everything is great.

Quick Reply: So, what is fried?