5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car just dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 PM
RICEBORDEAUX
2nd Gear Member

Default car just dies

My car sometimes just going down the road and dies. I can press down on the gas pedal and there's no response until it just cuts off. I usually just put it in neutral then start it back up and go on about my way. I've tried to different fuel pumps and change the distributor cap and the wires where or what should I check next??? It doesn't do it all the time but every now and then it happens and it like I can smell fuel or some sort...
Old 10-03-2009, 11:28 PM
9165pt0
3rd Gear Member

have u done a koeo/koer test yet? i had the same problem, still tryin to figure it out. hopefully codes will help. im sure some1 will know, but i heard sometime the vss vehicle speed sensor goes bad and cause this. if its not the fuel pump, i wonder if theres a fuel leak in your lines.

Last edited by 9165pt0; 10-03-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:18 AM
RICEBORDEAUX
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to let you know when I tested it last it said something about the EGR but with my chip I don't even think it connected I'm going to do some research around the car and what not and on the web and see what could be causing this. My friends supercharge car does this also fromr time to time so we'll see..........
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Sounds like the typical prob when stator in dizzy is bad or tfi is on the way out.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

Hey, I'm from Decatur, Illinois.......originally. Drove back about a month ago. Huh.....
Old 10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
RICEBORDEAUX
2nd Gear Member

Ignition switch was bad meaning I could wiggle it around and the fuel pump was cutting off and on I guess depending on how the car moved...I got that fixed now seems like I'm missing a little bit on the big in but getting ready to pull the plugs and check the wire's after the car cools down. Something may have come loose with a wire to my ignition box going to check out the plugs when it cools down....
Old 10-05-2009, 05:28 PM
RICEBORDEAUX
2nd Gear Member

Havent' check the dizzy yet but the tfi is good and these are the codes that I pulled from the car....

81- boost circuit failure
82- speed control vent circuit failure
85- canister purge( i know this one is the smog that I don't have)
84- egr circuit,vent, shutoff vacum regulator

can some please diagnose me in the right direction
Old 10-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Cleeman99
3rd Gear Member

check your fuse and all vacumm lines
Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 PM
RICEBORDEAUX
2nd Gear Member

checked the vacum lines everything seems to be okay and check all the fuse's I was told the 81 has to do with my speedo cable not being hooked up and I think 82 is in there also being I have a C4 but other than that the other where smog related. I tightened the coil bracket that was very loose and I'm sure was moving under the RPM's but the problem has struck yet I think I may replace the fuel filter being something may have got clogged in ther from me droping the tank a few time but hopefully the problem is gone if not I'm going to start looking at the distributor parts and maybe rewire the ignition box and check the connections...
Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 PM
RICEBORDEAUX
2nd Gear Member

The relay that goes by the computer was corroded it had all types of corrosion in it and the relay was all rusted up like it had been sitting in water so I got a new relay. How and what can I use to dry out the connector to make sure all the moister is out. I realized all of this when I figured out my injectors weren't pulsing so I check the relay and there it was.......

Quick Reply: car just dies