5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bogs down when floored...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:19 PM
rdavin622
1st Gear Member

my car started doing this and I thought it was all of the above. But The timing being off plus a faulty coil actually made my car behave almost exactly how you describe ( 0-60 MPH in like 12 seconds). I adjusted the timing and threw a new coil in. it has all power and hasnt skipped a beat since then.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 AM
9165pt0
3rd Gear Member

Default updated

ok heres an update...i put in new plugs and plug wires, checked fuel filter its good, checked coil its ok, adjusted idle, adjusted timing, swapped egr, cleaned iac...it runs a lot better now. almost full power as it did before, but when its floored it doesnt have the same sotp feel. theres still a slight hesitation and feels like its lacking a lil bit. any ideas on what i should check?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
dagamore
2nd Gear Member

did you get the right tube for your injectors? I know this can cause some odd problems, here is a site that might help out, the 5.0 i worked on had the C&L 80mm unit with a tube setup for the 73mm and until we put in the right tube it cause all sorts of problems when he went to larger injectors.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/calibration.html
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
89stangbanga
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9165pt0
ok heres an update...i put in new plugs and plug wires, checked fuel filter its good, checked coil its ok, adjusted idle, adjusted timing, swapped egr, cleaned iac...it runs a lot better now. almost full power as it did before, but when its floored it doesnt have the same sotp feel. theres still a slight hesitation and feels like its lacking a lil bit. any ideas on what i should check?
That's good to hear! As he said above me did you get the correct sampling tube? Without it the air to fuel ratio could be off and your car might not be advancing your timing at wot. Make sure you have the correct tube, make sure your car is grounded correctly. Throttle cable maybe? Might need to be adjusted, not quite sure though. But start with making sure your tube and grounds are ok. Grounds are imohp the most important thing on a fox! If you disconnect all your grounds to the car it won't run! Let us know what happens and if you get it fixed. Ill hop on occasionally to see your progress.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
rdavin622
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9165pt0
What Is the fuel pressure reading? Maybe it needs more fuel possibly... Just an idea
Old 10-22-2009, 11:56 PM
9165pt0
3rd Gear Member

Default updated

hey guys its been a while since ive been able to work on this car. but i checked it out tonight. it still runs fine, but only like up to 3500 rpm. if its like 3/4 throttle it seems fine. but once you floor it and it gets close to 3500 rpm it feels like the car isnt making any power. my throttle cable is f'ed up. the part that connects into the lil clip underneath the t/b wouldnt stay in there. so i had to pull on it some. seems to have loosened it up a bit. although once the gas pedal is floored the t/b does open fully. i just cant fig out what to check next. it doesnt have full power once floored it just lags. ive changed egr, new plugs, wires, fuel filter is clean...i just dont get it. there is still a light whistle and rpm change at idle, but im thinking its my header leak.

any other suggestions on what to troubleshoot?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:52 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

you positive your coil is good? what color spark are you getting from ur plugs? it should be like a light blueish white if its orange then ur coil isnt producing enough and should be changed. this happened to me and i couldnt figure it out. swapped the coil out and rand mint
Old 10-23-2009, 01:10 AM
9165pt0
3rd Gear Member

i was hopin it was the coil, but i swapped coils and it didnt help.

and when u say check the spark, how would i do that?
Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

well u can buy a spark plug tester that plugs in between the spark plug and the the plug wire. or you can just pull one plug and touch it to the block and watch it spark
Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 AM
09booger09

My car is modified cam rockers heads, intake exhaust but I have stock fuel system. Mine was doing that, when floored it would studder bad half the time and sound like it was backfiring int the intake at lower rpms. I do not have a timing pointer so after tiringly messing with timing and fuel pressure I finally got it right 38psi and only premium fuel, maybe u got some pad fuel also

Quick Reply: bogs down when floored...