5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

running hot new engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

Default running hot new engine

freshly built 357w with holley 750dp
new everything on the motor
180 degree thermostat
2 row aluminum radiator
high flow water pump
running at like 220 with no fan, was drviing on highway and fan somhow broke so i rewired it just to get home and i think the wires touched or somting and they melted so i was running at 230-240 all the way home
But what i dont get is it runs at 205 with the electric 16inch fan that i had* with no shroud
it was a crappy gm universial electric fan
so im ordering a dual s-blade from jegs with shroud you think that should take care or it or am i running lean or to rich, my timing is at 13 degrees as of right now with full advance setting in at 2500rpm?
any idears?
=]
Old 10-28-2009, 04:15 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

/bump
=]
Old 10-28-2009, 06:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

it still could be possible that the 2 core even though larger than stock may not be adequate
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

well shiit, well i need a new fan anyways so im gonaa get the jegs dual s blade with a shroud, so ill go from there, if that doesnt work ill have to buy a smaller water pump pulley if they make one or get a larger crank pulley. if that doesnt work then illl replace thermosat maybe its stuck or somthing. but idk after that what else it could be maybe i do need a bigger rad dam haha
well would running to lean or rich cause that much extra heat?
i mean i got some major power coming outta the beast with no* black smoke and im pretty sure i did a/f mixture right according to guides. well if all else fails might as well get a a/f meter to plug in just to verify.
im kinda ichting about having that ****ty fan and no shroud its gotta have some factor to a minimum, that crap was felt like it was pulling but when i gave it some thought it was only pulling a min of 14 inch in DIameter, idk i gotta get some money anyways broke *** right now
Whats kinda funny too is i had second thoughts on buyin that fan and riding home in 105 weather i smelt somohing burning like breaks and i was like that sucks for somone then realizing that my fan seized and caught fire later on lol, stupid gm fans

heres the last pic i took
dont ask why the gay hose hahahaha

Last edited by redemption; 10-28-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if that's the summit aluminum radiator, I'd think it'd be able to handle it, it does well with my 347......I'd not use underdrive pullies to start, to see if that helps at all
Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

ya its not he summit one but almost exactly the same its a ebay knockoff for the same price i beleive, ok well that helps fan then stock pulleys, thanks again brotha
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

good luck, btw...nice lookin' engine, get the bugs worked out and lets see what that thing can do et wise!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

thanks man dude this thing scares the **** outta me lol my friend was with me when i got loose in 1s and 2rd red lining it down a street and he turns to me and says this bitch is fast lol, hes also has a 5.0 with a 347, anyway my dad hates it, my mom loves it she used to have a 5.0 when she was 20, although i did have a neighbor come over today and say ur car is to loud hahaha i dont car he never comes outta his house and it was lunch time.
ya im starting to think it is the pullies after all, i hope i dont need a spacer for the crank shaft my friend used nuts for spacers for his, dumb idea. started it up again today sounds good just need to slightly tune it other wise it starts right up upon priming carb and turning key
i got tons of pics
heres some other pics i moved my reg after this pic first 2 are most accurate

Old 10-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Running down the highway or anything over say 50 mph. Should not need a fan. In fact I'd doubt few, if any fans will pull more air through the radiator than what's coming through the grill at speed. Some factory cars have language in the program to not let the fan come on at speed regardless of temperature.

Sound to me like you have more than one problem. Melted wires is a good indication of too small of a wire gauge. Are you using a relay?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

it was stop and go traffic in Los angles in 100 degree weather so once i did go at 50 it did cool down a little but, i still think mjr is right its a combination of my pullies slowing down the pump and my crapola fan. only viable thing i can come up with, just a mater of time before i solve it, dont have a stock pulley so i have to order a stock one bahaha, let me know if theres decent priced one i should look at =]

Quick Reply: running hot new engine