5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

cutting springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
lx5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default cutting springs

is this a good or bad thing to do,anybody ever cut 1 coil of their stock springs,
Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

its not a smart thing to do, but I guess its better than heating them up...
Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

ive got some cut off my front ones.i think i got 3/4 of a coil cut off of my 4 cyl springs.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:29 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

I cut my drag springs. But it was needed I wouldn't cut stock springs.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'm for the clean look, I'd just buy a set of lowering springs
Old 11-07-2009, 02:52 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Oh boy, here we go again! Put some 4 banger springs in it.

Rodger that!!
Old 11-07-2009, 04:09 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lx5.0
is this a good or bad thing to do,anybody ever cut 1 coil of their stock springs,
No, no, no! You can't do that! Your wife/fiance/girlfriend will leave you, your pizza delivery will be late and cold, your hair will fall out, you'll grow massive quantities of hair on your tongue, you'll come down with diabetes, your bank will go under, your car will explode into a ball of flames that will make Nagasaki look like a weenie roast, the sky is falling and the world will come to an end in 2012!!! Someone on the Internet told me!

What I'm saying is, you'll get a lot of posts here fear mongering you that all sorts of horrible things will befall you and your car, even though they have absolutely zero documentation to back this fear mongering up. So, be prepared. lol

In another thread here, I posted extensive, documented information regarding this very question you asked, from a highly trained and respected suspension engineer who has written books on the topic and runs his own high performance suspension company. He doesn't sell lowering springs, he merely cuts the O.E. springs, as he clearly states you'll get superior results. He has no vested interest in trying to sell you coil springs, (as they lowering spring companies do), so his professional recommendations are very credible. I myself have been in the automotive repair/maintenance industry for 25 years and have raced in S.C.C.A. racing using cut coil springs, per the recommendations of the aforementioned suspension engineer, Herb Adams. Below is the post. I hope the information provided helps you to separate the fear mongering from the facts. Enjoy -

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...springs-2.html

Last edited by RogerDodger1; 11-07-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:41 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Damn, is someone sucking someone else's ********* here^^^?????? I'm sure his books are a good read and will give some great advice.

If you don't want to spend the money on springs then yes cut them, just don't be greedy when doing so. For drag racing a set of 4 cyl springs are nice because of their lower spring rates and allow that easier weight transfer. If you are looking for specific application such road racing springs or straight drag racing springs then aftermarket would be the way to go. The companies have spent the money on testing for a reason (yea yea rodger, we don't care about your opinion on the company trying to sell their stuff, we know). But again others have had great results with other methods.

When I cut the stock springs in the 83 in my sig, I did get a little greedy with them. Being old sixer springs they didn't have enough spring rate to handle the car being as low as it sits so the rear end did hit the bump stops when hitting bumps hard enough. I then swapped them out for a set of 03 cobra fronts and stock 03 mach 1's in the rear that had previous been trimmed (1 coil I think) and the car felt alot better. It also sits at the same height (see the sig, they were installed then) but it did not hit in the rear anymore and over all handled better on the street.

Anyway, it just all depends on what you want from your car. If I were you, I would cut your springs a little, install them and see how they look and drive the car. If you cut too much get some more stock springs from the junk yard and try again. If you are disappointed with the ride, just spend a little money on some aftermarket ones.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:46 AM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Ask Jasper about cutting springs.

Just make sure you do it evenly
Old 11-08-2009, 10:54 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by USMC1775
Ask Jasper about cutting springs.

Just make sure you do it evenly
Also known as fs308