5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine management options

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 PM
88 347 stroker
1st Gear Member

Default Engine management options

Ok so we all know that camed or modded 5.0 mustangs are riddled with idle problems just by reading the different threads. My car is a 347 with the entire fuel system and ignition system upgraded, it’s a street car with a healthy cam. I have had the car chipped and dyno tuned twice to get it dialed in and I still have idle problems. My question is what other options are out there. I know I could go to a carb set up but I would hate to lose all the money I have in the fuel and ignition system and I don’t if going to a standalone system will help or if it’s worth it. Is it in the limitations of the ecu? I’m just looking for a better and more reliable engine management system.

Thanks n let me know if it doesn’t make sense, I’m not very good at writing things up.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Whats the setup? I have a pretty badass setup and my car idles fine with a stock a9l

Last edited by primetime5.0; 11-18-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:41 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

the failures of your car are either mechanical, or your tuner has a serious ID-10-T problem
Old 11-18-2009, 04:59 PM
straight6racing

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
the failures of your car are either mechanical, or your tuner has a serious ID-10-T problem

idle problems are mechanicly/tune related. im assuming you have mass air? how many miles on the engine/sensors?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 PM
88 347 stroker
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies you guys. My car is an 88 gt 5 speed with a long block 347 from coast high performance. I have edlebrock heads, rpm II intake and 70mm throttle body. Full msd ignition with a 9al, billet dizzy, coil and wires. The fuel system is the aeromotive kit that includes sump tank to fuel lines to rails. 30lb injectors mass air conversion with a mass air sensor to match the throttle body size. I have had the motor in the car for 4 years and when I put the motor in I bought all new motorcraft sensors except the bap sensor. Over the past summer I have replaced the IAC, TPS, FTI module. when I had the tune done it was not very good bec the shop f'ed it up so I took it to another shop and they squared it away, they adjusted the sensors, looked over everything, checked the spark plug gap, timing, 5 dyno pulls and they returned the super chips (chip). im fully confident in the guys who tuend the car. they are very good and have been very helpfull. It ran great for the summer then the issues started. It had a random dyeing issue so I tested the coil TPS both were ok but I replaced the FTI module bec it was what came with the dizzy n it wasn’t motorcraft. I still had the issue so the other day I did a base idle reset and then the car now surges and hangs around 2k rpm. Ever since I stopped using it as a daily driver it’s had this problem, I don’t know maybe the car is mad at me or something lol. Thanks again for the replies; I don’t know what I would do without this place
Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

have you run a koeo/koer test yet?? also check for vaccum leaks
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by 88 347 stroker
Thanks for the replies you guys. My car is an 88 gt 5 speed with a long block 347 from coast high performance. I have edlebrock heads, rpm II intake and 70mm throttle body. Full msd ignition with a 9al, billet dizzy, coil and wires. The fuel system is the aeromotive kit that includes sump tank to fuel lines to rails. 30lb injectors mass air conversion with a mass air sensor to match the throttle body size. I have had the motor in the car for 4 years and when I put the motor in I bought all new motorcraft sensors except the bap sensor. Over the past summer I have replaced the IAC, TPS, FTI module. when I had the tune done it was not very good bec the shop f'ed it up so I took it to another shop and they squared it away, they adjusted the sensors, looked over everything, checked the spark plug gap, timing, 5 dyno pulls and they returned the super chips (chip). im fully confident in the guys who tuend the car. they are very good and have been very helpfull. It ran great for the summer then the issues started. It had a random dyeing issue so I tested the coil TPS both were ok but I replaced the FTI module bec it was what came with the dizzy n it wasn’t motorcraft. I still had the issue so the other day I did a base idle reset and then the car now surges and hangs around 2k rpm. Ever since I stopped using it as a daily driver it’s had this problem, I don’t know maybe the car is mad at me or something lol. Thanks again for the replies; I don’t know what I would do without this place

Just because the parts were new once upon a time, doesnt mean they are still working as intended
Old 11-20-2009, 12:10 PM
88 347 stroker
1st Gear Member

i have run the koeo/koer tests and i did not get any codes. i understand the parts were new once upon a time thats why i have gone through and checked all the parts that i think would cause the problem and i have tested the voltage of the electrical sensors that i know the proper settings for. do you know if the base idle setting can be that sensitive that by having it off by just a little can cause the idle to surge or cause the ending to die? and where can i find a list for all of the sensor voltages and resistance readings. the manuels i have dont give them all. thanks again
Old 11-20-2009, 10:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so drive up to my shop and we'll see if you don't get any codes, my bet is you might be suprised Fairfax is a little over an hour from frederick
Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 347 stroker
i have run the koeo/koer tests and i did not get any codes. i understand the parts were new once upon a time thats why i have gone through and checked all the parts that i think would cause the problem and i have tested the voltage of the electrical sensors that i know the proper settings for. do you know if the base idle setting can be that sensitive that by having it off by just a little can cause the idle to surge or cause the ending to die? and where can i find a list for all of the sensor voltages and resistance readings. the manuels i have dont give them all. thanks again
It doesn't matter what the DVOM sees in terms of signal output voltages from the sensors if the brain is not getting their input for processing. If you don't get any codes, as in at least a system pass code (11), you have EEC problems. BTW... a 347 setup is more "forgiving" cam wise due to the cubic inches, unless something else, not EEC related, is not set correctly. What is the engine manifold vacuum at idle?..... cranking compression? .... what camshaft does it have installed? LUK