5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car is missing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Car is missing.

tps does play a role in you A/F since it tells the computer where exactly is the throttle blade and rate of change position. also for you certified mechanic. i thought you did tires/brakes and suspension. **** that isnt a damm mechanic. ASE isnt **** its what pepboys employees are. you can get ASE changing oil at jiffy lube. als why does my trade mean anything here son? ill tell you the same as anyone. take it to pm.

also for checking the tps. listen up. you get a volt meter and watch it as you slowly turn the throttle blade to it reaches WOT. with the car off it should read .85-1 and at wot it should read 4.6-4.8. so by watching it as you slowly turn the blade will determine if its got a dead spot or not.
ORIGINAL: wildstang87

first of all, disconnecting the TPS will throw a code, which is why i told him to reset the computer and then pull the codes. (someone needs to read more carefully). also driving with the TPS disconnected wont hurt a thing, just makes throttle response a little worse, the computer goes into limp mode when its disconnected and the A/F ratio is measured by other things. (looks like someone doesnt know their EFI). lastly, checking the voltage at the TPS witht the car at idle, or just KOEO wont help determine if the TPS is bad. you could have a dead spot anywhere in its range. and if thats the problem disconnecting it and driving the car will determine if its bad. you should really stick to doing electrical work, and quit telling certified mechanics how to diagnose a problem.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:48 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

when the TPS is disconnected the computer goes into LIMP MODE, and the computer runs off a set of default fuel maps, you can also unplug the maf sensor and it will do the same thing. you can get ASE certified working at victoria secrets, but if you dont have the knowledge to pass the test(s) you will never be certified. and i said i do tires brakes and suspension now, as in the past 3yrs, not my whole career. anyways, you are right about the correct way to check the TPS for dead spots, but this guy was looking for help quick, and unplugging it is alot quicker and will give you the same results. no matter how you look at this whole thread all youre trying to do is look smarter than me, which you arent, and the advice i gave him is an educated guess at what to check first and the easiest way to check it, and you insist its the wrong way. but until you do what ive done for a living dont tell me i dont know what im talking about, and ASE cerifatcation isnt nothing, b/c if it wasnt people wouldnt waste their time taking the tests.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you gave him a guess, also there are so many more ppl out there that arent ASE that know a hell alot more then those ppl. and youre the one that tried to dig up my trade field instead of worrying about youre info. as for whos looking smarter, i dont need to try to do that or look to do that. thats just a childish thing to say and try to do. so ill leave that on youre shoulders. info should only be given on ways to do things if its helpful and not a method that can cause more harm then good.

also with a unplugged MAF it can run extremely lean, so i wouldnt advise doing that also.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:37 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

ok buddy, unplugging the maf sends the ECM into limp mod(once again) the fuel maps are default settings that will allow proper driveability under light loads, which means they are leaner settings on the top end, but not enough to hurt anything or cause detonation. the educated guess was just that, an educated guess based on the symptoms hes having, and driving with the TPS unplugged wont cause any harm. you really need to quit second guessing people that DO know what theyre talking about. this is a message board so i dont care if you think im childish or not, the fact remains you are telling a certified mechanic that hes wrong. which is not very bright. anyhow, OVALFAN, listen to whoever you want. and read the post carefully, as some of the information on here is invaluable and will make you even more technically challenged.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

go play at midas and take youre BS out of here. if you dont like it theres always the X
ORIGINAL: wildstang87

ok buddy, unplugging the maf sends the ECM into limp mod(once again) the fuel maps are default settings that will allow proper driveability under light loads, which means they are leaner settings on the top end, but not enough to hurt anything or cause detonation. the educated guess was just that, an educated guess based on the symptoms hes having, and driving with the TPS unplugged wont cause any harm. you really need to quit second guessing people that DO know what theyre talking about. this is a message board so i dont care if you think im childish or not, the fact remains you are telling a certified mechanic that hes wrong. which is not very bright. anyhow, OVALFAN, listen to whoever you want. and read the post carefully, as some of the information on here is invaluable and will make you even more technically challenged.