5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

still wont crank!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Angry still wont crank!!!

posted a couple weeks back about my car not wanting to crank and how the solenoid just makes horrible noises when i turn the key. hooked the starter straight to the battery via jumper cables and it wouldnt spin.

i finally pulled the starter out and found chunks of metal inside it when i took it apart so i got a new starter and put it in today. hooked it all up, turned the key and nothing. hooked the starter directly to the battery again via jumper cables and the motor turns over just fine now. so the starter is good but the solenoid just makes this loud, horrible clicking sound. its done this with 2 solenoids now and i dont know where to go from here,
Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

check your grounds? maybe youve just got bum solenoids?

how are your wires looking?

Ive never had a starting issue with my car... starts sun, rain, <0 degrees... you name it
Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

im not sure which ground to worry about. the fact that the motor cranks when i hook the batter via jumper cables directly to the starter means the starter is grounded just fine. i tried attaching a wire to the block off of the body of the solenoid (to ground it better, as if being bolted and sitting on the fender wasnt enough) and that did nothing either.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I have no idea, there is a break in the connection somewhere, but I dont know much about electrical gremlins. so i am not a real help
Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

you have a 92, why are you using the old style starter?
go with a starter for a 92, that has a solenoid built onto it. a couple elongated wires and it's done.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:15 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
you have a 92, why are you using the old style starter?
go with a starter for a 92, that has a solenoid built onto it. a couple elongated wires and it's done.

+1000000

your car will start a lot faster too with a mini starter
Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Your old starter could have fried the new solenoid. Check the in and the out wire of the solenoid for any corrosion. That corrosion moves into the wire like a fungus so if you have a little at the end, you will have more inside. Since you just bought a new starter, stick with that one. But when that one dies, you might want to upgrade to a modern mini.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 AM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

You can do a simle voltage drop test on the feed and ground side of the starter circuit. That will rule out bad connections and bad wiring. Its a simple set of test that alot of people over look.

And i apologise in advance if you allready have done the above
Old 02-11-2010, 01:16 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dreamer1uk
You can do a simle voltage drop test on the feed and ground side of the starter circuit. That will rule out bad connections and bad wiring. Its a simple set of test that alot of people over look.

And i apologise in advance if you allready have done the above
can you be more specific? im not so great with electrical. ill try a new solenoid, i havent tried one since this starter went in.

i havent upgraded my starter since ive never had any reason too. its always worked just fine and if its not broken, dont fix it........at least when you cant afford to.

any links to a write up on that tho id like to look it up. any pics as well? there is some sort of solenoid on the starter and 3 terminals. one terminal goes to the starter motor, one goes to the solenoid on the fender and the other is a trigger wire. i just jumped that trigger terminal by wiring it to the terminal that has the wire going to the solenoid? this is how my mini starter was hooked up (last one i had that blew). should i just run a wire right off the battery to the starter and then run the 3rd little terminal (the trigger) to the wire that activates the solenoid on the fender?

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 02-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hey,

These links should work for you -

Description of voltage drop testing - http://ramchargercentral.com/index.p...,122771.0.html

And a great video showing the tests in progress on a no start vehicle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry68G0C2Fyc

Hope these help

Quick Reply: still wont crank!!!