5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang Stock Stereo Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 AM
KevDude55

Got it out...weirdest stereo ive seen. Now i need to figure out how to wire a new stereo in.

Last edited by KevDude55; 03-24-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: picture
Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 PM
evilcw311

on some of the older foxes the radio didnt have the holes, but there should of been a strap on the back. if its not there anymore than you should just have to grad the radio with your thumbs and your other fingers in the tray squezing the radio and tray together.

oh and if it is premium sound then it also might be common grounded in which case you will have to run all new speaker wires!! but seeing as im not seeing the factory eq under your tape deck then its not premium sound.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:27 AM
KevDude55

if i had to run a common ground, i would probably end up splicing into the ground wire under the kick panel. I ordered an amp bypass kit from crutchfeild as well as a stereo install kit.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 PM
joshs89gt

all the amp does is make it so you can have the two little speakers on the dash and the door speakers - thats what i have anyway, and to use the stock wiring i just had to tie the front two together (left and right) and lose the stock dash speakers, it took some fighting with but it worked. and to be honest i shouldnt have even done it because the stockers blew up within the week. so i just rewired it anyway.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:39 PM
evilcw311

Wink

Originally Posted by KevDude55
if i had to run a common ground, i would probably end up splicing into the ground wire under the kick panel. I ordered an amp bypass kit from crutchfeild as well as a stereo install kit.
common ground on a stereo means that all of the speakers share the same ground wire at the stereo. you dont "splice into" a ground anywhere. it means that even though you will see 2 wires, +&-, at each speaker that somewhere in the harness all of the -'s are joined as 1. in which case as i previously said you would have to run the new speaker wires.

easiest way to tell is when you hook up the new radio try controling your fade and balance controls. if your speakers dont sound so good and these controls dont work then there you go....common ground.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:50 AM
KevDude55

stereo that i have recommends against doing just that, says it on the deck itself. I had to rewire the front speakers, and im really hoping i do not have to rewire the rear speakers. My plan now is to get component speakers in the front speakers, and put 6in. speakers in the rear. The Speaker grille where they connect is all torn up from the previous owner, so i have to make a bracket to hold the regular speaker in, its already blown, so im just putting in a pair of 6in. round speakers.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 PM
evilcw311

Originally Posted by KevDude55
stereo that i have recommends against doing just that, says it on the deck itself. I had to rewire the front speakers, and im really hoping i do not have to rewire the rear speakers. My plan now is to get component speakers in the front speakers, and put 6in. speakers in the rear. The Speaker grille where they connect is all torn up from the previous owner, so i have to make a bracket to hold the regular speaker in, its already blown, so im just putting in a pair of 6in. round speakers.

recommends against doing what? running new accurate speaker wires?? owned a proffesional stereo shop in indy for 7 years, worked in 2 different shops for a total of 6 years before. never heard of a stereo that recommends against fresh ran wires that are hooked up accurately as opposed to inaccurately.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 AM
KevDude55

No, wiring all the speakers with a common ground, I already ran new wires for some of the speakers. It says on a sticker on the deck, "DO NOT CONNECT(-) NEGATIVE SPEAKER WIRES TOGETHER OR TO CHASSIS GROUND" Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:32 AM
evilcw311

no problemo!! you just through me for a loop there a sec with that. i was like HHHUUUUUHHHHHHHHH?!?!?!? lol
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 AM
laythemdown74@yahoo.com

is there a way tyo pull it without the so called keys on the stereo with the four holes?

Quick Reply: Mustang Stock Stereo Removal?