5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cleaning MAF

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:36 PM
csapp

Default Cleaning MAF

I've read serveral articles about cleaning the MAF for a miss in the engine. I'm a new mustang owner and not sure what a MAF is and even where it is located. It's possible this could be causing some of the miss in my engine.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:04 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cleaning MAF

well from your other post i can see you have a 87 so in 87 they did not come with mass air flows sensors. they came with speed density. but if you do have converted to MAF this article may help. http://www.muscularmustangs.com/maf.php
Old 08-02-2005, 03:05 AM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

i wouldnt suggest you clean the maf unless you completely know what youre doing, its not hard but it could cost you more money in the long run. the maf is the sensor in the air intake duct, at the end by the filter on 94-95s, and in the middle on 87-93s. it is possible for a maf to cause a miss, but its alot more complicated than just saying yeah clean it and that will fix the problem.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:35 AM
DaKAsTrAta

could just be a fouled spark plug u just have to trouble shoot it check your spark plug wires also check the gapping on the spark plugs
Old 08-02-2005, 05:48 AM
25th5.0stang_LxConv

I just recently had the same missing prob in my 90 lx 5.0, although i do not know if you have a maf sensor or not, either way it shouldn't matter because it is likely not to be the problem. If you are having a poping noise when the motor is under load, my car "popped" aproching 2000 rpm in third and fifth gear mostly, this means your motor is missing and the unburned air and fuel passes buy the O2 sensor which the comp then reads the unburned air only and thinks the engine is running lean rather than rich. to compensate it then riches the fuel mixture wich is not what needs to happen. if you have this poping noise it starts from a miss which most likley is coming from one of your spark plugs being fould (cant spell). lots of times the plug becomes fould becauce of a bad SP wire to find out which one unplug the wire(s) from the distrubter cap and use a volt meater to find out which wire has the most Ohms of resistance if one has more than the others it needs to be changed but keep in mind that SP wires sould last you up to 40,000 miles and if any wire needs to be changed it would be the coil wire for it passes a spark 8 times more than any other wire. be advised tho the bosh platinum 2 and 4 spark plugs do foul often because many older cars that are not equiped with coil packs can not produce a strong enough spark and there for they foul very often in stock distrubiter equiped cars. i would suggest bosh platinum ones for fast starts, good HP and the most reliaibality. but thats my 2 cents. i fixed my prob by replacing my spark plugs and wires and putting in a new rotor, fixed me right up and now i got plenty of power . i prob miss spwlled lots of words, sorry if i did.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:05 AM
csapp

I have changed the following with no end result. Spark plugs, distributer, rotor, plug wires, coil. I don't know what else to do other than taking to a mechanic and I can't afford that.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:22 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

have you checked the timing
Old 08-02-2005, 12:13 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Don't use carb cleaner it leaves a residue... guess they let anybody write articles these days.... use electrical contact cleaner. You can get the contact cleaner at AutoZone or Advance for like 2 bucks.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:57 PM
25th5.0stang_LxConv

well if you have changed most of your ingition out and you had the poping problem then i would look into changing your 02 sensors because of the "damage" or "use" they have gone through. I had thought that carb cleaner was ok to use if you Carefully dried if with compressed air, your prob right tho mdvaldosta.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:23 PM
DaKAsTrAta

befor u go spend alot of money check the timing

Quick Reply: Cleaning MAF