5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine removal from trans...HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine removal from trans...HELP PLEASE

after hours of tryin to find bolts that will move i managed to get the bolts around the trans to move. not the 4 bolts were the bellhousing meets the trans, the 6 or so bolts that connect the trans to the drive shaft. ive gotten all of them off along with the header bolts and motor mounts so i know nothing else is connected. I finally started to lift the engine and heard the joyus sound transmission fluid hittin my driveway cause i forgot to empty it first but alas...my eninge wont come out. I looked is under the car and were im tryin to disconnect is in fact disconnected, but not all the way. it seems like a shaft is in the middle and it needs to be moved out and then lifted up.....so i took the car off the jack stands but kept the engine lift connected and tried to roll the car backwards and remove the trans like that...either i didnt get the car to roll enough or its meant to be done another way....any help? PLEASE thank u
Old 09-02-2005, 03:31 PM
posnick
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine removal from trans...HELP PLEASE

disconnect the driveshaft from the rearend and then pull it out of the tranny
Old 09-02-2005, 04:15 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

What 6 bolts connect the drivshaft to the trans? I have never seen a driveshaft bolted to the trans. Did you remove the Starter?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

remove the starter? no but i thought since im lifting the tranny with the engine i wouldnt have to, guess ill try that tommrow. then i will disconnect the drive shaft fromt he rear end...never disconnected a drive shaft how do i do it?
Old 09-02-2005, 05:19 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry I was confused I thought you were trying to pull the engine and not the trans. To remove the drive shaft all you do is remove the 4 bolts that are holding the driveshaft to the front of the rear end. Drop the rear of it down and pull the driveshaft out of the trans. Did you remove the transmission crossmember this will help also. What 6 bolts are you refuring to on the trans to driveshaft?
Old 09-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

hmmm how can i describe were they are....alright it goes my engine,bellhousing, then 4 bolts that connect the housing to the trans right? then from the trans, it connects to this pieace thats held in by 6 bolts.....this is the 6 bolts im talkin bout....maybe its 8 but its there. also didnt disconnect trans cross memeber, heard it wasnt necessary but it could be help ful. when i pull the driveshaft out....how much of a bitch is it to get back in?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:54 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

It is very easy you just jack up the rear of the trans untill you get it and place and bolt it back on. I sure hope you have help with this project just to be safe.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:07 AM
lunchbox99
1st Gear Member

hey cobra own @19, to make life a lot easier I would remove transmission from engine first, leave engine connected to cherry picker,
remove crossmember, speedo cable, clutch cable from bell housing, electrical from trans, starter, drive shaft, then stick a floor jack
with a nice 2x4 between jack and trans and take that sucker out first. The engine is quite large for the engine compartment and you
will need all the room you can get. Leaving the trans on is going to make actually removing engine from car a bi#$h! And definatly get some help with this one! good luck!
Old 09-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I still don't understand what 6 bolts you're talking about connecting the tranny to the driveshaft. At the transmission there ARE NO BOLTS that hold the driveshaft to the transmission. The yoke actually freely slides in and out of the transmission, there is a rubber seal that keeps the fluids in normally, but other than that, there should not be anything holding the driveshaft onto the transmission other than the simple fact that it should have no room to pull out unless you disconnect the bolts connecting the driveshaft to the rear differential...

Anyway, the right way to remove the drive shaft is to unbolt the FOUR bolts that hold the driveshaft to the REAR differential, meaning back where the back wheels are. They are "star" shaped bolts, you'll need a 12-point 12mm socket, or you can just use the box end of a 12mm combination wrench which are usually 12-point.

They are torqued down pretty tight and usually have threadlock, so it will be tough. The best way to do this, is to put your car into gear, (MAKE SURE IT'S IN GEAR!!) then using a breaker bar, or just sheer leverage (I had my feet on the wall and pushed against it...), torque that bolt off. Then jack up one side of the back so that one wheel is off the ground (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WHEEL CHOCKS ON THE OTHER WHEEL!!! and having the front up on jack stands don't hurt either...), take it out of gear, then turn the wheel or try to turn the driveshaft to get the next bolt into position, lower the car, put it back into gear, then do the same, repeat until all four are out.

Then once the driveshaft is disconnected from the differential, you can simply pull it out of the transmission. The yoke that goes into the tranny should simply slide right out, so you won't need to play with the universal joint or anything...

Anyway, I hope you didn't unbolt something weird from your tranny...
Old 09-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

thanks, i got a neighbor comin by on monday with a breaker bar, tried using a ratchet...not good. the best way i can describe these bolts is by there postion.

you have the engine thats hooked up to the bellhousing...then from the bellhousin its connected to the trans by 4 bolts right? then right before the transmission mount, there are these 8 bolts (not 6 sorry),i disconnected these 8 bolts. and when i tried to lift the engine, it seperated a little bit to were tranny fluid came out all over my drive way, not that i mind. better understandin now?

Quick Reply: Engine removal from trans...HELP PLEASE