5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Default Door Locks

Quick question, What should I check if all but one of my door locks do not work? For some reason only my pass. door unlock works and that is it. Switches, wiring, or fuses? I wouldn't think fuse since one of them does work.

If it is switches, can you fix that without replacing it?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I just checked my power locks. If you hit unlock on the one side, both doors unlock so I dont think its the actuators. I checked all the pink wires and they are all hot, 12V. I took the switch apart and it looks fine expect the lock part doesnt work. Could it still be wiring? or switch?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

could be the fact that your car is creeping up on 22 years old...

which basically means, it could be several things.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:07 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

actually I would check the drivers side switch. It runs on a master/slave switch system so if both sides had gone out I would suspect the pass switch but since its only the drivers side then it could be the switch. Check for voltage on the back of it and make sure you have power to the switch(center pin I think) and the lock/unlock wires should be pink/green stripes and pink/yellow(again I think as its been a while) and will alternate power on them.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I just checked the wires and the switch. Seems to be working fine. I even hooked up a wire manually to connect the wire that would unlock the door and nothing. Now I am confused. It seems the switches are working, the wires seem to be fine. The ones that need power, have it. Not sure where to turn now.

Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I was just told by the previous owner that the first owner installed keyless entry already. There is a box under the seat and now I am thinking this may be the reason why I am having problems. Now I have to figure out how to fix this. I may have to check all the wires and find out where they lead to.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I did some looking around, I removed the kick panel and there was a black box wired in. It appears to be for the key less entry system. When I unplug it, the only unlock switch that works no longer worked. Can anyone help me that installs these things? Where should I go from here? I'm wondering if my door locks not working are because of this.......

Any ideas?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I ended up taking my panel off and my kick panel to figure out what was going on. Turns out there is an alarm system already there but I am sure it doesn't work. Now I get to undo what they did so that I can get a new one installed.

Wish me Luck!!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 AM
fltt

Check for voltage at the actuator that is not working.
Then work your way back.
The locking system is a reversing polarity 5 wire system.
The lock and unlock wires are cut and the aftermarket system is wired in series. To restore to factory find the relays that were added for the locks and reconnect the
Factory wires.
The splice usually is in the driver kick panel or behind the front driver dash speaker .
Good luck Floyd
Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 AM
fltt

If unlock works on the door that didn't then it is probably the aftermarket system either a wire came off or the relay is bad find it and eliminate it by splicing the factory wires together.

Quick Reply: Door Locks