5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

POST HARMONIC REPLACEMENT TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM
golfmanjh

Question POST HARMONIC REPLACEMENT TROUBLE

Thank you for your time and help, and I am glad to be a Rookie member to this amazing site. I recently bought a modded 1995 5.0 (cold air intake, cam, svo intake manifold, aluminum heads, aftermarket exhaust, svo clutch, and possibly headers, maybe more the previous owner had not installed the parts. I know little about mechanic work, and am lucky enough to have a few friends that do. But we are all stumped by what my car is doing. After one month of purchasing the car the harmonic balance went bad. I had to drive the car under the servere vibration for two days before fixing it which I regret but had no choice. Along with the harmonic balancer going bad, we noticed the coil pack and distributor needed replacing. After they were all equipped we noticed the engine idling fine, but once near 3000 and 4000rpm the engine would bog down, backfire, fight climbing any higher, and sometimes when I start it the gas pedal hesitates response like I am out of gas or something, the car will also buck forward or "surge" (if i am using the term correctly) when the car is at a static speed i.e. 35mph 45mph 55mph etc. but when I gently press the gas pedal it will immediately and temporarily stop the surging/bucking forward. It also has begun having trouble starting "hard start." It does have an adjustable fuel pressure gauge to which we have on 40psi and was set on that when the car was working perfectly.
It is getting depressing, because we have replaced the spark plugs, the fuel filter, the TPS sensor, we bought a cobra mass air, ignition control module, and have not seen the slightest IMPROVEMENT. I have been told it could be the computer, the distributor, the vacuum system, even spark plug wires (possibly something damaged further when that coil pack blew and distributor broke, i dont know ) , keys notes we were able to get one quick check engine light and immediately took it to advanced auto parts and they tried to hook it up in the driver side in car port and got a link error (not sure if they just needed to hook it under the hood or not) we are going today to swap out the "newly bought" distributor and tell them its broken to get my warrantied replacement and hope that is the problem. I highly appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this long pain in the *** problem I am having and have a blessed day. John First time mustang owner, and hopefully lifetime.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Have you timed it correctly. Also the "cobra" mass air meter might be calibrated for larger injectors. Im not sure on that one maybe someone can back me up or disprove me. If thats the case you need matching injectors or a gt maf.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Cobra mass air's are 24#. I don't see anything in your post about upgrading your injectors, although my ADD tends to stray far away from walls of text.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:48 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by mattdel
Cobra mass air's are 24#. I don't see anything in your post about upgrading your injectors, although my ADD tends to stray far away from walls of text.
Really Matt? I though you would know better than to spread this nonsense...

OP, there is alot more that we need to know about your car, however you need to leave out some of the useless details. Also, breaking up your thoughts a bit will allow those like Matt and myself to actually read your entire post. I got lost after the 4th line.

Did you reset your timing properly?
Does your car still have cats?
The data port on the drivers side doesn't work. your car isn't OBD2. And the parts monkey that tried to scan it is an idiot too.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

derp... i shouldn't post when im stoned.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:19 PM
golfmanjh

I do have the 24 lb injectors, sorry about the wall of text I just wanted to be descriptive. We did try a replacement cobra mass air, but someone said that although that works with the 24lb injectors, it might not sync with the GT computer. Im not sure about the cats but I do have an aftermarket x pipe. Thanks for the help and I'll figure out anything else you need to know.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 PM
golfmanjh

We did time it recently, set it at 10, but who knows it could be wrong, we are going to try a new distributor or computer if we have to later on.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:29 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I didn't read what adder completely said...... BUT using a Cobra MAF SENSOR has nothing to do with what injectors you run because for the SENSOR to work it has to use the Cobra computer...... So you can use the housing but have to use a 70mm sensor that is from a stock vehicle that uses it and GUESS WHAT???? Your car already has a 70mm housing and sensor from the factory ... SENSOR is emphasized because the sensor itself and the computer are calibrated to work together. You can use the housing itself and a stock 70mm sensor and it will be fine but like I said you already have one.

Your issue is a timing issue because you replaced your dizzy and you don't have it dropped in on the right tooth....

What makes you THINK you needed to replace the dizzy and coil?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:30 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by golfmanjh
We did time it recently, set it at 10, but who knows it could be wrong, we are going to try a new distributor or computer if we have to later on.

Just to resay it..... "timing it again" is more than just turning the dizzy..you need to bring it back to TDC on the compression stroke and drop it in where it needs to be...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 AM
golfmanjh

Thank you very much for the help projectresto83. We are going to try that tomorrow and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: POST HARMONIC REPLACEMENT TROUBLE