5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Waterpump's giving me a stomach ache.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Waterpump's giving me a stomach ache.

Haven't been on here in years. What's happening, fellas! Sorry for the long post. Here's the deal. I've replaced the pump twice...once, 5 years ago (did it myself, torqued properly), and again 6 months ago (had a shop do it). Autozone lifetime warranty (don't do it). Anyway, the problems are:

1. Could never get either pump to stop slow-leaking at the gasket. And 2. My new pump (6 mos) has started to whistle intermittently, and loudly, through the top hole. Bearing, I assumed. But the thing is, it makes the noise whenever it feels like it...and then stops just as abruptly. About the same time this started, my belt started making a racket when I'd first start the car...squeaking and chirping. It quiets down after a mile or two. No clue if the two are related.

As a sidenote, I had a shop replace my timing cover gasket, and check the cover for warpage, thinking that was why it, and the pump, were leaking. They said it wasn't warped. Timing cover no longer leaks, but the waterpump still does. Any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Does yours run on a serpentine belt? Have you looked into replacing the tensioner arm?

The other thing is what are you using to seal the gasket and how long are you waiting between the time you put the gaskets on and TQ everythign down before you add coolant and run it?

I typically used RTV Blue and waited overnight before refilling and running the motor anytime I changed a WP and gasket. The gaskets will wick coolant if they're not allowed to cure long enough with the RTV.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Derf. Yes, it's a serpentine belt. I replaced the tensioner pulley about a month ago...the bearing was rough, but I hadn't thought about replacing the whole tensioner. It seems to work normally, but how do you tell if it's bad? Another thing, I've been wondering if my fan clutch might be bad. No cooling issues, but the fan spins easily by hand...hot or cold. Shouldn't it be harder to spin when it's hot? Maybe a stretch, but if it's not working properly, could it stress out my waterpump bearing?

In terms of the rtv, I don't remember what I used when I changed the first pump, or if I let it set (5 yrs ago). But I know the shop that installed the current pump let it set overnight. I also know that they used gray sealant of some kind, because the mechanic put it together like a monkey, with sealant fudging out the sides.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:41 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

First mistake....shopping at autozone (more of a personal preference lol)

I always use the copper coating spray you get in a can.

Replace the clutch on the fan

Are you sure its the pump that is squeaking?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 AM
4rdnut
1st Gear Member

Check the two backing plate bolts on the back of the water pump to see if they are hitting the timing chain cover preventing a proper seal at the water ports. Manufacturers are putting backing plate bolts that protrude to far out and they hit the timing chain cover preventing a good seal. My last water pump install i had to file the head of the two bolts down so they would clear the timing chain cover.