5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power Window wiring questions 90 LX

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
DOTC

Unhappy Power Window wiring questions 90 LX

Hey guys! New to the forum! Hopefully someone can help me out.

I recently bought a 90 LX 5.0 and shes been great so far.. been having fun fixing all the little problems, cleaning her up etc. BUT I have a power window issue that's driving me insane.

The previous owner spliced the power window motor wires into the power door lock switch (grrr) anyway, I circuit tested and I'm only getting power on the Black/white wire going to the door locks. No power anywhere else. What wire is supposed to power the window switches? I've looked at several wire diagrams and all they do is confuse the hell out of me. I originally thought it was the door harness, but I test before the harness and still am only getting power the one wire. What am I missing?

BTW I also replaced the PW fuse (#14 20A) and the window switches all around.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:39 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Window motors are nifty. One side receives power for down, and the opposite side receives power for up. At the very same time, the opposite wire from power receives a switched ground. White/black and yellow are the two wires for drivers side, and yellow/black & red/black are passenger side.

Anywho, a pink wire comes in from fuse #14, 20amp. It splices out under the dash to both of the door switches.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:52 PM
DOTC

Originally Posted by mattdel
Window motors are nifty. One side receives power for down, and the opposite side receives power for up. At the very same time, the opposite wire from power receives a switched ground. White/black and yellow are the two wires for drivers side, and yellow/black & red/black are passenger side.

Anywho, a pink wire comes in from fuse #14, 20amp. It splices out under the dash to both of the door switches.
So I should be seeing power to the pink wire at the fuse box then? I have connected the wires back properly to the harness, and there is nothing on either side.. no up or down on either.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:29 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Yeah the pink should have key-on power.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 PM
DOTC

Originally Posted by mattdel
Yeah the pink should have key-on power.
Well crap.. I didn't even think about that. Pink has power at the fuse box, to the connector and to the back of the door harness connector.. So does that tell me that I do have a door harness issue?

If I do, it looks like Ill have to pull the door to get the sucker outta there. Cables are too tight to move around and snake through the door. Unless Im not thinking about something.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:03 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Pink at the window switch has no power?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:07 PM
DOTC

Pink at the window switch connector has no power. I unplugged the window switch harness to make sure that wasn't the issue.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Ahh. Well you've narrowed down the problem harness, now gotta find the problem wire. I'm bettin the pink got cut in the door jamb or something. Run a continuity test on the pink ends and see if it's broken.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 PM
DOTC

This is probably my last post for today being a newbie and all.. is there any simple way to get the harness outta the door? I tried last night and it felt like i would have to rip the harness out of there. Taking the door off isn't a biggie, just don't have help right now. Wanted to be the hero who got the windows working while the wife was away :-)
Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
DOTC

Update.. it was the harness. I guess I'm glad that's all it was. Almost all the wires were broke in half. Guess its time to check the passenger side. Thanks for the help.

If anyone else comes across this article, you'll need to remove the metal plate the harness attaches to (2 rivets to drill out) and remove the power window motor if you want to make your life easy.

Quick Reply: Power Window wiring questions 90 LX