5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Idle Problems, car dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 PM
pkrames

Default Idle Problems, car dies

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm doing it cause i have a question. So I have a 1993 mustang lx convertible. The previous owner installed an underdrive pully, full exhaust, headers, rockers, cold air intake, and some other mods. I bought the car about a year ago. However several months ago i started having problems on the start up. It would start right away but die. If i reved up the engine it would stay alive and i was able to drive it. I found that there was a vacum leak in the manifold so i replaced the gaskets. It seemed to help but it still idles funny and dies on the start. On the start it revs really high then sits at about 800 then drops and dies. Any suggestions to fix it? Also i dont know if it matters but the guage that shows battery power jumps around a lot and get really low as the car starts to sputter and die. Do you think its that or could it be the idle control motor? Please help
Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pkrames
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm doing it cause i have a question. So I have a 1993 mustang lx convertible. The previous owner installed an underdrive pully, full exhaust, headers, rockers, cold air intake, and some other mods. I bought the car about a year ago. However several months ago i started having problems on the start up. It would start right away but die. If i reved up the engine it would stay alive and i was able to drive it. I found that there was a vacum leak in the manifold so i replaced the gaskets. It seemed to help but it still idles funny and dies on the start. On the start it revs really high then sits at about 800 then drops and dies. Any suggestions to fix it? Also i dont know if it matters but the guage that shows battery power jumps around a lot and get really low as the car starts to sputter and die. Do you think its that or could it be the idle control motor? Please help

welcome...
Old 07-08-2012, 10:52 PM
scott302
2nd Gear Member

Welcome. You might try posting your question in the Tech area.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Repost in the tech section I'm sure someone can help you out there. Welcome to MF.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM
pkrames

Thanks guys. Yeah the problem is I dont really know how to post in the tech section. But I think i can figure it out
Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Best bet is the IAC. As far as the battery gauge, that's a common issue with foxes. They came factory with 65 amp alternators. Most fox owners like to swap over to the 3G alternator(came stock on 94+), they have double the amperage and do not fade at low idle.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

have you tried a base idle reset procedure??
Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 PM
pkrames

Originally Posted by mattdel
Best bet is the IAC. As far as the battery gauge, that's a common issue with foxes. They came factory with 65 amp alternators. Most fox owners like to swap over to the 3G alternator(came stock on 94+), they have double the amperage and do not fade at low idle.
Thanks a lot. I recently decided that that is most likely the problem. I just purchased a new one from rockauto.com. It should be coming soon. I hope it fixes the problem.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 PM
pkrames

Originally Posted by mattdel
I didn't think about that. My friend who is a mechanic just told me that the underdrive pulley spins the alternator really slow which causes the problem. Do you think swapping it would fix that?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Doubtful, they're pretty pathetic anyway. UDP's just multiply the problem.

Quick Reply: Idle Problems, car dies