5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Aftermarket Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:35 AM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

Default Aftermarket Gauges

I can't find a 12volt ignition source.

I have a 5 gauges, all with lights, 3 of them are mechanical, but 2 of them are electrical.

I've tried to tap into several wires and I have no luck.

I just need someone to tell me which WIRE, what color, and where it is. BINGO. I'm good to go.

I also have a lot of stereo wiring.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Make your own with an inline fuse. Much, much safer.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Why do you have 5 gauges? And yea, do what mattdel said or just tap into your fuse panel itself.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

vaccuum, oil pressure, air/fuel, volts, water...

I can't do an in-line fuse, already tried that, and your mustang A LOT newer and can handle that kind of stuff.

Ford Electrical systems suck. Lets just face it.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Yeah you can.. I've done it before on older Mustangs as well as new.. You can even make a fused power block to run several compenents.. I don't know what you're talking about or why it wouldn't work.. 12V is 12V, you can hook it up to anything that turns on when you turn the car on. Such as the radio, the cig lighter, etc..
Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Why can't you run a new wire with an inline fuse? Crimp an eye loop connector onto a wire, install it on the switched side of the starter solenoid, and connect the other end to the power wire of your gauges. Simple, easy, effective, and doesn't draw power from other fused items in the car(the whole safety thing).

It's gotta be nearly a necessity for 5 gauges with backlighting. No way you can tap into the stock fuse panel to run those without danger of circuit overload.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
Why can't you run a new wire with an inline fuse? Crimp an eye loop connector onto a wire, install it on the switched side of the starter solenoid, and connect the other end to the power wire of your gauges. Simple, easy, effective, and doesn't draw power from other fused items in the car(the whole safety thing).

It's gotta be nearly a necessity for 5 gauges with backlighting. No way you can tap into the stock fuse panel to run those without danger of circuit overload.
Your saying instead of tapping my fuse panel, I can intercept a pre-existing wire. (which is what I want to do btw)

I have those blue things where you squeeze it against two wires and wa-laa you've tapped into another wire....

Now, you said the switched side of the starter solenoid. I don't know if that means behind the dash or in the engine bay? what color? What gauge wire?

I really don't know how to find the right wire. The Haynes, Chilton, and online diagrams haven't helped either.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM
javila2468
2nd Gear Member

your solenoid has 4 connections to it. main connection from battery and then the connection that goes to the starter. it also has 2 small connections, one is "I" (ignition) the other is "S" for switched.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=solen...25&tx=86&ty=95
Old 09-19-2012, 11:14 AM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

That worked just fine. Only problem is: Now, the volts and water gauge are ON constantly. Even with the KEY OFF. Not sure if I like that.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Oh.. right.. 1990 has the S wire going to the solenoid instead of the starter.... my bad.

For my idea to work you'll need to convert to the 1993+ mini starter, otherwise I'd say you should probably use the new wire you installed to power a relay, and splice off the headlight circuit to switch the relay, sorta like the fog light fix.

I can't stress enough that this needs to be done correctly. Fox wiring is precisely the size needed to power the intended circuits (sometimes too small, too). Splicing a direct power feed from another fused circuit will cause problems, 100% guaranteed. Dash fires are the the quickest spreading.

Last edited by mattdel; 09-19-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Gauges