5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pegging or (pinging) problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Default Pegging or (pinging) problem

Hello all...you may or may not notice that I have a 1997 Cobra Clone Convertible in my profile, witch is true. BUT, it has a 95 5.0 engine in it.(Thats why Im in here. lol) It has an e303 cam, 75mm throttle body, bbk cold air, granatelli MAF, MSD ignition, Long tube headers(no cats), 3" exhaust with x pipe and magnaflow mufs. Truth is I just recently baught it and Im still getting to know the car. It has an in line pressure guage in the fuel line under the hood. So it may have a high output fuel pump. maybe bigger injectors to(I just dont know) Engine was rebuilt 10k miles ago, the guy said the block and heads were built to stock, except for the cam and lifters/valvesprings.
Ok enough about that. Im ASSUMING the car has been tuned with all that work. And it DOES run hard. BUT, it pings under full throttle(yes I run 93 octane) especially in 3rd and 4th gear. first and second only at high RPM, second will ping at full throttle around 4000 than go away and continue pulling. Its very unpredictable and pings all over the place, at times less than others. I Do know that it is robbing power because any time it pings I feel a power loss. I just wonder if I need to turn the distributer and back off the timing a smidgen or is the MAF starting to go. HELP!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I'd start by checking the timing first off.. Sometimes some people go crazy with advancing it and you don't know what the previous owner could have done.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 AM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

first i'm curious what computer is in the car...check timing.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

I was wondering wich computer is in there to. I just a assummed it had to be the 95 version in order to manage the 1995 5.0 thats in there but.......How exactly do I determine that?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:57 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

btw this is it.....

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...nvertible.html
Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

UPDATE...
Turns out car has some weird after market "performance" computer in it, BUT....The spout connector was left off intentionally by the previous owner, and the time was advanced to 40 degrees?! Brough it to a tune shop, he dynoed it and set base times, advanced it 3 degrees, plugged the spout connecter back in so the computer can advance in properly during acceleration and BINGO! Car runs even better< driveability is much improved but, it still pings intermitantly, we think its the MAF......
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

FURTHER UPDATE...
Cleaned the MAF and IAC and the pinging went away. Im even thinking of advancing the timing a bit more to squeez a little performance out of her. Also, found out she has 24lb injectors with the coresponding Granatelli MAF.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 PM
94redGTConv
2nd Gear Member

What does pinging feel like? I think I may have it. In 4th and 5th I can stomp it to the floor and feel just about nothing.

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 12-16-2012, 01:28 AM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94redGTConv
What does pinging feel like? I think I may have it. In 4th and 5th I can stomp it to the floor and feel just about nothing.

Imagine you are holding a sheet of tinfoil in one hand...and think of the sound of you pinging it with your fingers quickly...Sounds stupid but that's exactly what it sounds like.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 PM
94redGTConv
2nd Gear Member

okay, well I think I got that, does it feel like anything.

Quick Reply: Pegging or (pinging) problem