5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Overheating Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:56 PM
sminor

Default Overheating Mystery

Hey Guys,
I bought a '92 LX a few years ago with the original engine still in it. It ran okay, but had a problem with overheating in traffic or at idle. So, I did the usual things, new aluminum 3 row radiator, new hoses, water pump, ect. Still overheated. I then called my local Ford Racing dealer and bought a new 5.0L crate engine and put it in the car. Guess what...It still overheats in traffic and at idle with the hood down. With the hood up, it will idle for hours without overheating. It idles at about 900RPM. I've replaced the radiator cap within the last 24 hours and observed water flow through the radiator when the thermostat opened. Has anyone had a similar problem and solved it? I researched the forum, but was unable to locate a thread with a problem similar to mine in it. Could the old ECU be doing something to cause the problem? Is there something about the hood I need to look at ? Cowl vents? Anything?
Really appreciate the benefit of your experience,
steve
Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

fan shroud still there?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 PM
furiousjoe

what is the temperature reading that you think it is overheating? it is overheating just based on the gauge? in traffic, engine heats up and then cools down as you start moving?
did ypu install engine yourself? did you burp/purge the coolant system of air? (or purge...)
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 PM
sminor

Originally Posted by mattdel
fan shroud still there?
Yes, the nine blade shrouded clutch fan is there and appears to be working as designed.
steve
Old 09-30-2012, 06:18 PM
sminor

Originally Posted by furiousjoe
what is the temperature reading that you think it is overheating? it is overheating just based on the gauge? in traffic, engine heats up and then cools down as you start moving?
did ypu install engine yourself? did you burp/purge the coolant system of air? (or purge...)
Joe,
The temp guage has gone to red on one occassion. It has gotten VERY close to red on other occassions before I shut it down. On those occassions the air conditioner would blow hot air and the engine would develope a miss and start loosing power. I checked it with a laser yesterday and it got over 225 before I shut it down.
Yes, you are correct, if I stop in traffic (even at a long signal light on a hot day) it tends to get very hot very quickly. When I begin moving again, it cools down quickly. I should elaborate, I had a reputable shop install the motor in May 2009 and I have been trying to correct this problem ever since. I have driven it several thousand miles and it's performance is strong, except in traffic. I've taken it to Ford dealers and the local experts, but no one has solved the mystery. Sorry for the long post, but I want to be thorough so as not to waste your time.
steve
Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Its classic signs of air flow problems. I condemn the fan clutch, assuming you don't have some crazy body kit that is restricting air through the radiator.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:27 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

So you have a 3 row radiator (a bit overkill but ok), stock mechanical fan, replacement water pump, correct? What thermostat and has it been replaced? The first thing you need to do is get an aftermarket gauge on the car, troubleshooting an overheating issue with a factory gauge is useless.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:27 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Not trying to insult your intelligence but you mentioned you watched water flow thru the radiator. How did you do this? I'd always replace the thermostat first whenever I had cooling problem and 99 times out of 100 thats the fix. Second again just checking but you are mixing coolant with water right? Glycol cools better than water alone. Good luck with the issue.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

BB, I'm not big on terms but is glycol another word for antifreeze If so then no, water alone cools better than coolant.

Last edited by darkmach1; 09-30-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 PM
sminor

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Not trying to insult your intelligence but you mentioned you watched water flow thru the radiator. How did you do this? I'd always replace the thermostat first whenever I had cooling problem and 99 times out of 100 thats the fix. Second again just checking but you are mixing coolant with water right? Glycol cools better than water alone. Good luck with the issue.
Sorry, this is one of those cases when I failed to paint a good word picture. I should have said:" I took the radiator cap off, started the car and watched until the thermostat opened and the coolant began to flow." The temp gauge showed normal temp when the thermostat opened (half way up the gauge). The glycol IS mixed with water.
steve

Quick Reply: Overheating Mystery