5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

blue smoke out of tailpipes : (

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Default blue smoke out of tailpipes : (

at idle the smoke is barely visable but if i throw a decent rev a good little cloud of blue smoke spits out tailpipes.. I noticed i had been getting some oil in the upper intake and im pretty sure its from pcv valve so i got a cheap gas filter from autozone thats kinda working, i put it between pcv->intake and im seeing oil collect on the bottom..Could that be where im getting the blue smoke from? any ideas why would it be doing that? **** i shouldve searchd the old posts see if someone had this already ahem thats what im bout to do but any thoughts or ideas could be great..!

Oh an setup = 15k miles on 302 bored to 306 all new guts (everything) 1k miles ago put e303 and some aluminum gt40's 1.6 roller rockers and cobra upper lower intake throttle body an cold air 24# injectors chrome pro-m maf no smog pump no ac no power steering

pretty sure smoking started happening after the hci... I really noticed it when i was messing around with a fuel pressure regulator and couldnt get it right but the stock fpr is on but it still is smokin not super bad but pretty much..i ran it for awhile today an put the oil filter thing on there an seemd like most smoke went away until i give it a good rev then it still spits out blue puff tried driving it out still nothing but smokey smokey uhg

Last edited by marlyman; 10-07-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
djd2392
2nd Gear Member

i mean, as far as im concerned its not a mustang if it doesnt burn oil, every mustang i've ever seen has blown blue smoke as they put on miles.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by djd2392
i mean, as far as im concerned its not a mustang if it doesnt burn oil, every mustang i've ever seen has blown blue smoke as they put on miles.
LoL well that doesnt help :P ahem i rebuilt the motor its only got like 15k miles on it....so it doesnt have miles!! any other input?? : ) i know its gotta be something i can fix think its a fuel issue or something im really hoping i didnt blow any rings uhg...
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

I thought blue smoke ment a blown intake gasket.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Bump?? uhg where's mr mjr or mattdel or any of my other expert buddies?! : (
Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Could be any of the 3 things you think it is. Valve seals, rings, PCV.

Thats a nifty trick you came up with for the inline filter, how much is collecting?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 AM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
Could be any of the 3 things you think it is. Valve seals, rings, PCV.

Thats a nifty trick you came up with for the inline filter, how much is collecting?
!! w00t There he is : ) uhg always the bearer of bad news y couldnt u just say a little twist to the left or unplug this or just plug in that an it'll go away?! hahaha

uhg well, hope its not rings, pretty sure its not cuz it only started since i put the aluminum gt40s on and before that i rebuilt everything shortblock wise new everything all bearings crank cam freezeplugs oilpump etc..

which leads me to valve seals or pcv (gotta do the process of elimination to solve any problem) now i have noticed a very small ticking/tapping recently on driverside think i might need to readjust one or two of my rocker arms, i know roller rockers are supposed to have a bit of chatter but think theres 1 or 2 that has too much lash when set..so now im thinking thats where my smoke is coming from maybe some sort of valve float goin on?

..now that i think of it i didnt change the pushrods when i changed the heads so im using the stock pushrods for the aluminum gt40s an 1.6 rocker arms dunno if i needed to get longer or shorter ones..i pulled off valve cover an looked like a couple rocker arms where offset like not in the exact middle of the spring so thats got me thinking 2......

as for the pcv thank you thank you i think of myself as macguiver all the time : ) totally works tho and it is gathering a good ammount i had to get a more reliable/economical commuter as my daily driver so havent driven the stang a lot recently but when i put the filter thingamajig on i ran it for a good 30-60 mins an it collected a good puddle/bit of it...im guessing without the inline filter there the oil had been sucking up into the intake an thus burning thru exhaust or whatever?

so that leaves me to ask why would oil be coming out of pcv? and if it were just the oil coming from pcv if i ran car for a long time / go on a long drive would it eventually burn out an stop smoking? id asssume so...?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Probably won't stop until you relieve the vacuum in the block. The PCV system is intended to keep airflow moving inside the block, and when there isn't an opening at the other end to breathe through, it creates a vacuum and can pull oil right through. With all your mods, you're pulling more intake vacuum velocity, which translates into oil suction power. Oil catch can if you're cheap, new valve covers + breather if you like shiny's. You could try using a larger diameter PCV hose to reduce the vacuum pulled on it.

As far as the pushrod deal, hard to say. Really supposed to use an adjustable pushrod at the last stage of building to dial it in, but if you were too far off it would barely run.. so there's that.

Last edited by mattdel; 10-12-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

i had a similiar problem. Whoever installed my lower intake did not put the baffle plate under the pcv opening. sucked a rediculous amount of oil into upper intake. when i got on the throttle. it was a major smoke show.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattkoly
i had a similiar problem. Whoever installed my lower intake did not put the baffle plate under the pcv opening. sucked a rediculous amount of oil into upper intake. when i got on the throttle. it was a major smoke show.
Oil screen, i think you mean.

Quick Reply: blue smoke out of tailpipes : (