5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

rough running 95 cobra over night

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 AM
rdn

Default rough running 95 cobra over night

I have changed plugs,wires,dist,bug doped tank and cleaned, changed fuel filter and pick screen ,,,i have fuel but runs very rough...any ideas...help...........................rdn:icon_sm ash:
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

To be clear about the problem , did this occur after you changed plugs and wires?
Did you change the entire distributor or just the cap and roter?
Im not sure what your mean by bug doped tank
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 AM
rdn

Default rdn

Sorry about that..Im new on here still trying to fig. it out...I meant to say i dropped the tank and i only changed the dis.cap and rotor bug..I hope you can give me some help..rdn
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Im still unclear about some things. Was this happening before all the stuff you changed? Or is this the reason you did all you did?
There are several things that could cause it to "run rough" some things being , you have a vacuum leak, your egr valve is stuck open , ect sensor is bad, 02 sensor/s are bad, dirty maf , ...... etc etc.
These are a few of the things that come to mind .
We need a bit more info other than it is running rough. Do you mean it idles rough, will it run ok once it warms up , does it miss ,pop , or act like it wants to stall out???

When you give it gas does it mis or does it run ok??

There are several variations of running rough , pinpointing the trouble will require us to know when this happens and what conditions the engine is under such as when cold or all the time or just at idle. ....
Do a koeo , and koer to check for codes in the computer. Use this guide to help you if you don't know how to pull the codes...
http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7908
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM
rdn

OK I parked the car and let it set for one day. prior to that the car was getting hard to start, it would start on the secound attempt . when i started it after it sat, it started and ran very rough, like it was not hitting on all cylinders ( it shook the car) So i decided to change the plugs wires and dist cap and rotor. after doing that it ran the same...so i changed the fuel filter. when i took it off, the fuel that came out of the filter looked like coffee.. so i decided to drop the tank and make sure it wasent rusted or very dirty. The tank was super clean...so i changed the pick up screen because i broke it while checking the fuel pump ( witch was very clean ) I drove the car a short distence thinking i might have gotten some bad gas or something , but no change...so now i plan on looking for a vac leak or anything you can tell me to get on the road...last night when i started it the check engine light came on ( did not flash ) So thats where i stand now ....hope ya'll can help me out... and i am not that knowledgeable about what or where oxygen sensors are so if you help i would learn alot during this process thank for taking the time to help.. i am a very slow typer rdn
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Get those codes. The codes the computer stored codes when the check engine light came on . Before you start poking a stick at things run the tests Ive posted above this will give an indication of whats going on.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 AM
rdn

im on it ...thanks alot...will post when i have finished rdn
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM
rdn

ok this is weird the code flashed on the air bag light witch has been flashing for a while. the check engine light only flashed when it revived the motor up too do the 3rd test..there was 1 flsh 2flsh and was the same three times..where do i go from here.. this thing feels very rough now like its not firing on all cylinders..its not knocking or anything but i dont want to rev it up even a little.... desperately concerned now....rdn
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
rdn

anyone else out there that can help out ...im dying here.....
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 PM
rdn

my bad ...after reading about getting the codes im going to try it with a test light,,,my cel light must not be working right........

Quick Reply: rough running 95 cobra over night