5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Torque converter advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Default Torque converter advice

Well fella I'm about to order a Performance Automatic C4 Super Comp Transmission.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/...nsmission.html

Looking for a torque converter to go with this transmission. It'll be going in my 95. Right now the car is stock bottom end TFS top end with a 200 nitrous shot. The rear is a moser 35 spline kit with spool and 3.73 gears. Down the line I expect to go to a dart 347 and a 300 shot. It would be awesome if I could order the converter once and forget about it. You'll have to forgive my ingnorance in advance about the automatic. I've never owned anything with an automatic that would need this type of transmission.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

many track goers replace the torque convertor sometime 2,3 or manbe even 4 times until they get the one that does the job, finding a good company whose torque convertors work well is key, I run 5 speeds so I'm not one for recommending a company
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Converts they are science in themselves. Why dont you talk with PA about there's they sell them. Dont know what your budget is for one but they can get $$$$ real fast for a custom built one. But it is the best way to go most of the time Some other people to talk to is Edge converts, Neal Chance, Dynamic, Hughes, there are so many out there it is sick then you have your off the shelf stuff also TCI B&M and others Boss hog, PTC. Most of the custom converters will give one re-flash by that I mean if it is not working like you want they will take it back and restall it for you. Make sure you get Anti-balloon plates for it running any power adder or trans break it is a bit more but will save your engine and or trans.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
Converts they are science in themselves. Why dont you talk with PA about there's they sell them. Dont know what your budget is for one but they can get $$$$ real fast for a custom built one. But it is the best way to go most of the time Some other people to talk to is Edge converts, Neal Chance, Dynamic, Hughes, there are so many out there it is sick then you have your off the shelf stuff also TCI B&M and others Boss hog, PTC. Most of the custom converters will give one re-flash by that I mean if it is not working like you want they will take it back and restall it for you. Make sure you get Anti-balloon plates for it running any power adder or trans break it is a bit more but will save your engine and or trans.
Thanks for the input. The 10in converter from PA is a little on the pricy side. Im looking at The TCI ultimate street fighter 10.5. The web sight says it'll handle up to 1200HP and has the features you mentioned. I've included a link. let me know what you think.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/c4-ultimat...1-2-70-up.html
Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

TCI= Total Crap Incorporated
If you have a 306 now and you are planning a future 347 type thing I think you'll buy at least 2 converters.
Those 2 engines act way different as far as a converter goes.
All good converters cost money, in this day and age $5-600 isn't out of line.
I see you are on the east coast, there are several that are good in that area, Coan, ATI are just a couple I can name.........
Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Your the second person to shoot down TCI. I'm open to suggestions. This is my first high end automatic car. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Your the second person to shoot down TCI. I'm open to suggestions. This is my first high end automatic car. Thanks for the input.
I'll be the third, had a customer who ran one of their off the shelf models, was suppose to be a 3000 stall, car felt like it had a stock stall and didn't help 60's one bit vs the stock one
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

TCi is out. The search goes on.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 03-14-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

LOL leave it to me to have a different experience. I run a TCI and have for years it has been through 500hp S/C engines and now behind a 600 HP turbo engine it works well and I have few friends that run them also and a few customers that I have build C4 for also run them. Is there better out there sure. Do I hear bad things about TCI sometimes but I hear bad things about Ford also But I drive them. Just do your research like you are doing and make your decision based on it.
I will tell you I have been doing race C4 for a good many years now and yet to have a failure due to anyone's converter. But it is not unheard of. As far as not stalling like it should there are so many things that can change stall it is just hard to hit all the variables with a off the shelf convert. mine is a 3800 and will foot brake to 3200 range but will flash to about 4000 when it comes on boost. That is with only 306 cid but I also run a 3.31 gear with a 28in tall D/R. Now when it was S/C with 3.73 it would stall less. Due to the gear advantage.

Last edited by uedlose; 03-14-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

advertised stall can be quite different than what you get...depends on the engines output...

Quick Reply: Torque converter advice