5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

302 piston help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 PM
5.0StangNewbie

Unhappy 302 piston help

Hey guys im new here and also a new to the mustang ownership world. I recently purchased a 89 5.0 GT Hatchback. I would like to swap out the motor with another that i would like to start building here in the near future.

I read that the 2000 ford explorer was the last year to have a 302 in it and i was planning on taking one out to use the block only. I want to bore out the block .30 over from stock. But my problem is I don't know the size of the factory bore or pistons to start looking for some.
What size pistons, rings, rods and crank i should get/do i need?
I wanted to get Forged parts.. what brands are best??

What i want to put in it:
-Ford Racing turbo-swirl GT40x aluminum heads
-Ford Racing high performance hydraulic roller lifters
-1.6 ratio rocker arms(not sure about brand or size (3/8, 7/16..etc?????))
-Ford racing high performance push rods will these work with my lifters/rockers?? link below..
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-pushrod-8595.html
-Ford Racing E303 Performance Camshaft

....and that's as far as i have really searched. I don.t know if these things even work with each other.. do they??

I would like to supercharge it in the future and don't know if these parts will be able to handle it?!
My goal is to make about 4-500 HP..is this possible with the parts ive listed? if not please help me out and let me know what i need.
Thank you for your time. Have a great day!

Daniel Q.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 PM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

I'm not quite sure if your trying to stick for ford stuff because of cost or for some other reason?

IMO... spend money on new forged pistons w/valve reliefs (shoot for 10.5:1 compression) and a scale that goes down to 0.01 grams. Static balance the new pistons, stock con rods, wrist pins, and rod bolts yourself. Then have a reputable crank service balance the crank. (they will need all your parts so number everything)
Have the block align honed and bored with torque plates. (they will need the pistons so that they can tailor each bore to each piston).
Use some good quality bearings and the bottom end will be strong enough to handle the power your wanting to make.

If you have the money.. a boss block and all forged stroker bottom end would be nice.. real nice.

For the top end.. IMO skip the ford motorsport stuff. Those parts are good for 275rwhp or maybe a little more with good tuning and the right cam. But they can't touch something like a complete trick flow kit which will put down 320 with a good tune.

If your on a strict budget.. consider some edelbrock heads, a professional products intake, ebay SS shorty headers, and some no name 1.6 roller rockers.

The "majic" in a streetable 5.0L is heads, cam, and tune. Longevity will come from quality balancing and quality machine work.

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 03-30-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 PM
5.0StangNewbie

Whoa that was alot of info. I understood a good part of it but some I didn't.

Firstly...thank you very much for responding so quickly ad helping me out.
Secondly, I stuck with ford parts cause I thought that those were good and they had decent reviews on them. I'm not really stuck on them per-say. I'm really down for any reliable companies. I don't have a lot of money, but am willing to save and buy parts that are good and reliable if you think that I should get those. So I wondered if you could let me know what companies are good for the list that I will write, I know you already gave me some on your last reply so on those you don't have to answer..

Parts needed (Please let me know what brand(s) are best and somewhat inexpensive):
-Block - you said a Boss 302 block would be good..where can i find one for cheap?
cheapest ones ive seen were about 1400 bucks
-Heads - you said probably edlebrock... but are there others that are better?
-Rockers, Rollers, Push Rods.. any brand you suggest?
- Cam - are comp cams good? or are there better?
-Crank - not sure where to start looking..?
-Pistons, Rings, Rods, Bearings - Not sure where to look either? what brands?
-Any machine shops that you know of that I can send out the parts to whenever I buy them or should I just go to a local shop in my area??
I know these are all pretty dumb questions, but I honestly don't know much about motor work. Haven't taken apart a motor or anything heavy line like that in a looong time, so please don't get upset.
Well if you could help with any of these that would really help.. thank you so much for your time.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

You do realize that if you want to supercharge that substainal changes will be needed to be made in the shortblock.
You need to study what you want to do and settle on your goals before making any choices about parts.
BTW, stock 302 bore is 4.00", stroke is 3.00".
I'll say that a cast crank will work fine with forged rods/pistons at the HP level you say you want, just stay away from N2O......
Old 03-31-2013, 01:53 AM
samltheriault
1st Gear Member

correction. the stock 5.0 stroke is 3.4". one thing to keep in mind. if u do plan on boosting it. they say you want lowered compression for it. yes if u want to run ridiculous amounts of boost. but the higher ur compression is the more efficient each pound of boost is. i would keep it at 9;1 compression and run 8-10 psi. also keep in mind that those blocks can only handle 500hp before cracking up the middle. if ur looking to push +500 (at the flywheel) u should consider a dart performance block
Old 03-31-2013, 01:58 AM
samltheriault
1st Gear Member

and yes. No2 = boom. boom = no more running car. no more running car = no nice ride to show off or drive by girls with. and no nice girls to drive by = no vaginal activity. especially if motor goes boom while driving by girls. then they just laugh and u turn into a joke. (words to keep people away from No2)
Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 AM
samltheriault
1st Gear Member

for my third reply. best ones iv ever used were AFR 185cc. they are by far the best in my book. i am loving the ford racing e303 cam shaft. sounds great. has a nice rumble and dont need to worry about staling. for internals is eagle all the way for your crank and rods. and SLP for pistons. definetly go with roller rockers to. i got psp but its all about what u r looking for. thats what my current build is and its never been so fast. but im also running the on3performance turbo kit. im not sure if ur going for some real big numbers but regardless of what it is the cost always builds up. as we all can probably relate to.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 AM
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

Welcome. If your car runs now and you're lookin to build a stout motor with gobs of torque, why not look into a 351? You can bore and stroke your 302 and still wind up with fewer cubes and a weaker block than a base Windsor. The roller 351's came in the 93.5+ lightnings. Even if you get a non roller motor it can be retrofitted for under $500. Now do your build right with the right top end, and the only thing the 347 guys will see is your tail lights. Just my .02
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by samltheriault
correction. the stock 5.0 stroke is 3.4". one
correction again, stock 5.0 stroke is NOT 3.4 it is 3.00 as tinman states
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM
samltheriault
1st Gear Member

**** ya sorry i was thinking of the 347.. my b.

Quick Reply: 302 piston help