Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 Ford Mustang GT
Default Still breaking up after 3,000rpm...what else to check?

I have replaced my tfi module and ignition coil...when I hit 3,000-3,500rpm's it breaks up and the tach kinda bounces around. If I full throttle it it seems ok but if I hold it steady around 3,500 that's when starts to bounce around and break up....if the car is just sitting and I rev it up to that it doesn't do it. Seems to be only when driving. What else should I check? I'm stumped
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
trick flow street upper and lower intake, bbk 70mm throttle body, bbk afpr, walbro 255,shorty headers, catless h-pipe, bassani stainless cat back, tremec tko, centerforce df clutch, aluminum driveshaft, full length sub frames, chrome cobra r's, eibach pro-kit, 9mm plug wires, mac cold air, pro 5.0 shifter, sn-95 maf, autometer phantom gauges, cervini's stalker front bumper, cobra r svo hood, 93 cobra wing
StalkerGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1986 LX, 87 GT Hatch, 89 GT Vert
Send a message via AIM to mattdel

EGR related vacuum lines would be a good start.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Ok I will check out the vacum lines today
trick flow street upper and lower intake, bbk 70mm throttle body, bbk afpr, walbro 255,shorty headers, catless h-pipe, bassani stainless cat back, tremec tko, centerforce df clutch, aluminum driveshaft, full length sub frames, chrome cobra r's, eibach pro-kit, 9mm plug wires, mac cold air, pro 5.0 shifter, sn-95 maf, autometer phantom gauges, cervini's stalker front bumper, cobra r svo hood, 93 cobra wing
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 89 mustang

coil, the pick inside the distributor and the shaft in the distributor check it for wear from side to side I have seen a few wear out. Then you might want to start looking at valve springs
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

to me it sounds like a fuel pump...have you checked the pressure?
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 94 Cobra

Good voltage?
Js88lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 89 mustang

The tack jumping around kind of say electrical to me But I could be wrong that's for sure
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

All vacum lines checked out ok...my fuel pressure is about 36-37psi with vacum on at idle. The regulator is new...fuel pump is Walbro 255 that was put in last summer. Now it's just doing it around 4,000 and when I let off the gas as the rpm's drop the tach still jumps around without hitting the gas pedal...but when the rpm's get under 3k it's fine and stops jumping. If the car is sitting and I rev it up to around 3,500 and hold it there it breaks up pretty bad...it doesn't really do it when the car is cold...just when it gets around 180 or higher. Sometimes cranks for a few seconds before it starts too. That's also when it is warmed up

Last edited by StalkerGT; 04-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Fuel pressure is at 42 with vacum off...also realized today that when I slowly press the throttle the fuel pressure goes down a few psi. But if I hit it fast it goes up like it should. I stopped by a garage today and they suggested maybe the distributor but almost seems fuel related now? When the car is cold fuel pressure is around 37 at idle but when fully warmed up its at 34 at idle

Last edited by StalkerGT; 04-29-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1986 LX, 87 GT Hatch, 89 GT Vert
Send a message via AIM to mattdel

The tach is exclusively controlled by the negative wire of the coil, so if it's acting weird in any way it's either the wiring, the coil, or the tach. The breakup can be explained by anything else mentioned here, but it would be rare that they aren't connected.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement