5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1990 Mustang 5.0 Fox (HELP HELP HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Mwyatt23

Thanks guys for all your help on this. To answer your questions...I HAVE NOT replaced the fuel pressure regulator and will be replacing that tomorrow. As far as the MAF/Injectors scenario, I have the original MAF that came with the car, and of course the car had 19# injectors in it. I went to 24# injectors; which I was told that I would not have to make any changes from19#-24#. But if what you're saying is true(which I have no reason to doubt you), this could be a viable issue. The only issue that I cant rap my arms around is that I bought the injectors about a month before my original engine failed and they ran fine in that engine. Which quite frankly could have been a contributing factor to the engine fatal demise. Do you suggest I go back with 19# just to see if there's any changes? I'm going to replace the FPR anyways because everything else is new, may as well finish replacing everything that's not.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Mwyatt23

Now do I need a certain FPR with the 24# injectors because the OEM one is u
Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Mwyatt23

Now do I need a certain FPR with the 24# injectors because the OEM one is up to 45psi. Do I need a bigger one or is this ok?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by mattdel
Backfire while the engine is decelerating is usually a sign of a stretched timing chain.
better read up on the emissions system.........bad antibackfire/gulp valve on the thermactor air system will do the same....mine used to do such until I deleted the smog unless of course the op has already deleted smog, didn't have time to read the whole thread..lol
Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mwyatt23
Now do I need a certain FPR with the 24# injectors because the OEM one is up to 45psi. Do I need a bigger one or is this ok?
Nope a stock one will work just fine for what you're at right now. Adjustable ones are the way to go if you plan on doing any more mods at all, though. You'll find a need for tuning the FP.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
J.Willard

You need to account for 24's if you are still running the stock MAF.

Whoever told you nothing else needed to change with 24's was wrong...

Try putting in stock 19's and see what it does.

If regulator is bad, you can pull the vac line from it and smell fuel in the line.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Mwyatt23

Guys...this totally shocked me..I CHANGED THE FPR as instructed. Crank the car and there's white flood smoke coming from both pipes. Lots of it. And it smells just like gas. Seems as if I'm getting too much fuel rather than not enough or something isn't mixing right.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Mwyatt23

ok guys, let it set for about 15 minutes. Went out a cranked it again. No smoke for about the first 30 seconds and then eventually...there's smoke. Thicker by the minute. It's definitely loading up as it runs. I'm thinking the 24s could be causing the computer to mix the air/fuel incorrectly. This smoke didn't start until I replaced the FPR, so I guess it have got in on the fun as well. Any more ideas is well appreciated. I will tell you this, I'm going to put the old 19# injectors tomorrow and if this settle the car down, I will order some new replacements. I don't have a clue what's going on. It shouldn't be this hard :-(
Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Mwyatt23

J Williard...would it be safe to safe, if I left the 24s in and bought a MAF for 24s, would this be ok rather than going back to the 19# injectors...or will something else have to change as well? Just weighing options. I hate to just discard the injectors as they are practically new.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Mwyatt23

Cranked it again about an hr later and same thing. I might be crazy but I could swear gas is coming out of the tail pipe. You know how gas leaves a spot on the concrete, well this spot is there and I kinda put my hand under the tail pipe to catch a little to smell it and it smells like gas to me. When I changed the FPR, the only thing I removed was the upper intake and I had to lift the fuel bar to get to the screws underneath the FPR but nothing else. Made sure all that was secured down properly, unless I need to put another upper intake gasket on it. It looked fine though. What would cause this as it could be some of my initial problem.

Quick Reply: 1990 Mustang 5.0 Fox (HELP HELP HELP)