5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

19 Lbl injector Limits

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:24 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

You are correct, it is sort of a waste because the heads will limit the hp gain from the manifold, but it will be about 2 years or so before I do the heads, cams, timing chain, pistons, etc. Until then, I'm just wanting a little bit more tb response and fun for cheap. I'm about to go into the masters program at my college, so I cannot afford to put out 2,000 bucks on the things I want just yet (I don't want to buy that stuff used).
Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

What gears are you running? If your looking for the best bang for buck / butt-dyno improvement, fun-meter pegged, can't beat a gear swap. That's if you still have stockers. I know that's going a different direction than engine mods, but gears will feel like you have 300 hp. You said moneys tight and your just looking for "fun for cheap",so just a suggestion.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 09-10-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:53 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I have the stock 308 gears. I have some suspension upgrades, so I'm good there, I'm just looking for that 1/4 mile fun.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I was actually thinking of going 355 or 373 gears, but I'm worried about having to consistently shift so quick. Big difference on that?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

OH CRAP !!! You have to get those gears out of there. Since your alittle above stock power (with more to come)…… I'd do the 3:73's. You WON'T be dissappointed on spending that money. Or if your really cheap like me, keep an eye on Craigslist for a complete rearend with the gears already done. Plug and play then, as long as you know what your buying.

Yeah the intake will help alittle, but nothing compared to a gear swap. You'll be smiling till your face hurts, seriously.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 09-10-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Why "OH CRAP?" That much of a difference?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

YES YES YES, You won't believe the difference. You cannot go wrong with gears. Well you may loose a mpg or 2, but still way worth it. The shifting will not bother you.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Pontisteve

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
YES YES YES, You won't believe the difference. You cannot go wrong with gears. Well you may loose a mpg or 2, but still way worth it. The shifting will not bother you.
Gears are without a doubt the biggest bang for the buck. If you are worried about overstepping the gear (especially if running stock size tires), a 3.55 will do nicely. Typically, guys run 3.73 with a 5 spd or 4.10 with an auto... but they will have taller and sticky tires too.

Using MAFs that are calibrated for injector size is right up there with leeching to cure ailments. In modern times, we properly calibrate for the injector size by changing the tune. Ford Racing gives us the injector characterization data we need for all Ford Racing injectors. Or if they are OEM Ford injectors, we can pull that data out of a stock tune in a car that came with those injectors.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Well I have a T5 transmission in it with 255/40R17 tires (Nitto 555's), so I guess the 3.55's? As for the injectors, could I put the 24's on and just get the calibration tube (C&L MAF) for the 24lbl injectors? Or would I need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Pontisteve

Using a calibrated MAF to compensate for injector size changes works ok for fox bodies, with 24# injectors. Anything bigger than that, and it gets problematic.

The better way to do it is to tell the computer (via a chip) that you've got 24# injectors. Ford uses a specific set of data tables to describe to the computer how to control the injectors. It's not just "24#". It's low slope, high slope, breakpoint, minimum pulsewidth, and most importantly voltage compensation tables. Each injector is controlled uniquely, and saying 24# (or using a calibrated MAF) only addresses the static flow rate setting (called hi slope).

Since the part throttle timing tables are based on load, and load is based on airflow versus engine size, and airflow is based on MAF readings, and MAF readings are being skewed by a calibrated meter, I don't care to ever use calibrated meters for that purpose.

We still use them for their larger airflow housing and increased electronic range. We just don't use them in the way they were intended, which was to "lie" to the computer about airflow so that the computer will command a lesser pulsewidth the the injectors (which were also changed without the computers knowledge in this case).

What we really want is to use the larger MAF housing, if NECESSARY use the increased electronic range of the larger MAF, and then properly calibrate for both the MAF and the injectors in the tune.

It's like this. We don't tell a calculator to do 12 plus 4 so we can an answer of 16, if the real numbers are 8 + 8 = 16. Sure, you can trick it with limited success... but why would you want to? Let that calculator do the real math with the real numbers. In tuning, there are unintended consequences to using the wrong numbers to come up with the right answer! And spark timing is that consequence.

As we increase the size of the meter electronically (using a calibrated MAF), we are basically making the computer think there is less airflow coming in. The computer then calculates less load, which calls for MORE spark. And the bigger the MAF calibration trick, the bigger the problem. So in effect, a calibrated MAF adds more spark timing at part throttle. This might not be noticeable with a simple 24/19ths MAF calibration (24# injectors where a 19# is supposed to be). But try a 30 or 42# injector, and drivability will quickly suffer.

An adjustable fuel pressure regulator is not necessary, unless you are trying to trim air/fuel ratios on your wideband, without tuning.

Quick Reply: 19 Lbl injector Limits