5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

300 horse or bust

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 PM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Default 300 horse or bust

I have a stock block with edelbrock heads, cobra intake, 24 lb injectors, E-cam shorty headers, and gutted cats. I had the car tuned with an sct 4-bank and made it to 260hp and fell on my face. I was expecting to make closer to 300. LOL

So sad.

So I was told by the tuner that I need a bigger intake, cam, long tubes, and a new tune to get to my goal of 300 horse.

I just picked up an x cam, trick flow street burner intake, bbk long tubes, h pipe, high flow cats, and I am hoping to finally make it after a tune.

Any thoughts if I will make it?? I was told to get a track heat and went with street burner. I hope that doesn't make me fall short. I can still get a track heat if need be.

The car s a driver and a 7-up vert to boot. Just want that muscle car taste for once.

Boy am I pissing money away in my pursuit for okay HP.

Last edited by mebirkle; 09-11-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:42 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Lol, you should have it now. What cam were you running?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Lol, you should have it now. What cam were you running?

Good question... Was running on an E aNd going to an X.

I just hope the street burner intake will be enough.

In hindsight, a whole trick flow top end kit should have been done. It would have been less and I would have 50 more horse. At least I can sell the cobra intake an the e cam with 500 miles on it. I will have to buy my wife dinner with that money though.

Last edited by mebirkle; 09-11-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Some say letter cams are outdated, and they're probably right. I'm sure there are better cams out there. But I'm running one and am very happy with my dyno #'s. I think in your case its just trying to get your mods to work well with each other. The Trick Flow kit probably would have been money well spent instead of guessing on what part compliments the next.

If I were you, I'd look into other cam options on your setup. Someone will jump in here and recommend one, as I'm no cam guru. And sorry, never ran that intake.

But taking the wife out for diner is never a bad idea. You can break the news to her then about how your mods make the car safer.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I'd get with Competition Cams and get a little more serious about the cam........
Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Well, the X cam is in and the street burner intake is on the car and the cobra is out. The car even idles better than the e cam for some reason. I really haven't noticed much of a difference in power yet, but I'm hoping the long tubes with H-pipe vs. existing shorties with gutted cats make the difference.

We had a hell of a time getting the cam in as the person that did the E cam for me didn't put the lower sprocket of the timing gear in the right direction. It was backwards and rubbing against the block chopping up the crank and end and the chain (link was eve busted. I guess he just got lucky lining up the dots with gears opposimng as the timing was set right (I think).

Also, I found a bent pushrod and one that the tip was gone (found it under the removed lower intake). We put in new pushrods and lifters just to make sure that all was new. I also think we found most of the missing metal from the rub spots on the crank where the chain was rubbing against.

Now it's time to post the cobra intake / e cam for sale here. Hopefully, I can recoup some of my costs.

Last edited by mebirkle; 09-17-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you did change springs on the heads right??
Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

^^^^^good call....i am guessing no...hope i am wrong.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
you did change springs on the heads right??
The heads are upgraded to the edelbrock heads to no need to change the sprint as far as I have been told.

I have to get the exhaust on soon and then maybe the track heat to see if I get better results. It seems to pull really well low, but not sure about high RPM's yet.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by mebirkle
The heads are upgraded to the edelbrock heads to no need to change the sprint as far as I have been told.

I have to get the exhaust on soon and then maybe the track heat to see if I get better results. It seems to pull really well low, but not sure about high RPM's yet.
the springs that come on those heads are junk, barely adequate for stock/mild cams......there's more to valvetrain matching than just springs are good to xxx lift

Quick Reply: 300 horse or bust