prep work for new hydraulic lifters? - MustangForums.com



5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
9550
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 486
Default prep work for new hydraulic lifters?

hey guys
i will be installing brand new hydraulic roller lifters once i get the new cam installed.
what i want to know is other than dropping the lifters into place, what if anything do i need to do beforehand, during, and after install to make sure i do things right.
for example, i have seen at least one youtube vid advising soaking the lifters for at least a couple days prior to install. is this legit or some maniac making videos?

do i use assembly lube when installing the lifters?

feel free to answer these questions and give any other tips/advice/recommendations

thanks in advance.

currently, the everything is off the top end of the car down to the block and the cam is out, if that matters.
9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member
 
Duncan_GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9550 View Post
hey guysfor example, i have seen at least one youtube vid advising soaking the lifters for at least a couple days prior to install. is this legit or some maniac making videos?
Just make sure the lifter bores are free of any debris (there really shouldn't be any). Drop the lifters in. As for soaking the lifters, you can do it that way or you can prime the oiling system before you start the motor, which is always recommended
Duncan_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
petrock
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,670
Default

The point of soaking the lifters is to try prime the lifters with some oil before you start them up, so the lifters donít squish after initial startup. When I replaced the lifters in my wifeyís í98 3.8L the new lifters all came pre-primed with a little oil inside them. Yours might also. You donít need to soak the lifters for a couple days. Overnight should be fine. Although, I donít believe soaking is necessary. As Duncan_GT mentioned, you should prime the oiling system before starting the car the first time. That will prime the lifters with oil a lot more efficiently, accurately & reliably them soaking.

I would, however, use assembly lube when installing them, especially on the cam lobes and sides/bottom of the lifter. Unless you have an electric oil pump, when you prime the oiling system you will be turning the motor over. Which means that the lifters will be riding on the cam. You donít want that to happen with the lifters/cam dry. Assembly lube will help keep things lubed up during that initial priming/startup. Good luck...
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member
 
Duncan_GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrock View Post
I would, however, use assembly lube when installing them, especially on the cam lobes and sides/bottom of the lifter. Unless you have an electric oil pump, when you prime the oiling system you will be turning the motor over. Which means that the lifters will be riding on the cam. You donít want that to happen with the lifters/cam dry. Assembly lube will help keep things lubed up during that initial priming/startup. Good luck...
No. He needs to take his distributor out and spin the oil pump driveshaft with a drill. This ensures that the oiling system is primed, and nothing is rotated over = no moving parts. This is how to correctly prime the system.
Duncan_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
9550
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan_GT View Post
No. He needs to take his distributor out and spin the oil pump driveshaft with a drill. This ensures that the oiling system is primed, and nothing is rotated over = no moving parts. This is how to correctly prime the system.
thanks
the top of the oil drive shaft is square? what do i use to spin it?
9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
9550
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9550 View Post
thanks
the top of the oil drive shaft is square? what do i use to spin it?
i mean, i know im going to use a drill, but is there some special adapter needed or does square end of my 1/4" extension fit onto the oil pump drive shaft, or ?
9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member
 
Roger Mabry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 91
Default Look at bottom of distributor shaft - it is out of the car

That is the size of the rod you need to turn the oil pump.... buy one at most
auto parts stores or online...
Roger Mabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member
 
Roger Mabry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 91
Default Found this online - hope it helps

"To prime it remove the distributor and put a socket with an extension taped to it on the oil pump driveshaft and spin it counterclockwise with an electric drill?

Read more http://www.kgbanswers.com/how-do-you-prime-an-oil-pump-in-a-ford-302/20857305#ixzz2kMvQpsuX"
Roger Mabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member
 
Duncan_GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9550 View Post
i mean, i know im going to use a drill, but is there some special adapter needed or does square end of my 1/4" extension fit onto the oil pump drive shaft, or ?
Sure you're looking at the right thing? My stock driveshaft and ARP hardened shaft were both hexagonal.

In any case, TAPE the extensions and socket. You'll thank me when you don't drop the socket down into the oil pan

Last edited by Duncan_GT; 11-11-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Duncan_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
9550
2nd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan_GT View Post
Sure you're looking at the right thing? My stock driveshaft and ARP hardened shaft were both hexagonal.

In any case, TAPE the extensions and socket. You'll thank me when you don't drop the socket down into the oil pan
no, was going off my terrible memory.
so its a hex? ok. i will double check it when the time comes anyway.
thanks again
9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AODE Woes Pyrate Dave 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 8 09-10-2015 08:30 PM
Weird electrical/battery issue?? Mobiusone stang 2005-2014 Mustangs 7 09-07-2015 09:46 PM
Help! Metra 70-5521 AMP Harness Install cbird1177711 2005-2014 Mustangs 2 09-03-2015 09:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.