Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
88horserider

Vehicle: 88 FORD MUSTANG GT
Default ENGINE STALLS RANDOMLY

i have a 88 foxbody gt, with the 5.0 engine and aft add-ons. stage II cam, edlebrock aluminum heads, trickflow upper and lower intake, bbk throttle body, bbk c.a.i...... i have an issue with it cutting off on me at random like when i go in on the clutch to stop or slow down. it does it throughout the heat range (cold & hot) but it strangely seems to do it more once it gets hot. To add to my ball of confusion, it has a louder than normal intake whistle at idle but goes away once you crack the throttle. i have replaced the lower & upper intake gaskets thinking i had a vaccum leak somewhere but it hasn't changed my problem.

with all that said, does the idle air control valve really serve a purpose once you upgrade to aftermarket parts and flowing way more air than stock (cam,intake,heads,etc...) because i can unplug mine and it has no effect on the car at all... could this be my problem? any suggestions for things to check
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
88horserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
aode08
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 91 Mustang GT

Blow a cigar through the brake booster vacuum line, the whole thing, you'll find any vacuum leaks in the motor.Then do the same to the brake booster itself, they can also leak lol.

Do that first and report back, I had the same issue,when modded ill show you free remedies and cant wait to do so, so do that and report back

347 , 11:1 Compression,Knife Edged Lightened Crank,AFR 185,Ported Trick-flow Intake,Ford X-CAM,Under-drive pulleys,aluminum drive-shaft, 3:73 gears,Fender Cold Air Intake,Long tube headers,MSD Digital Ignition System
Lightened chassis.

451HP 439 FtLbTrq. mid 10 second car !
aode08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
88horserider

Vehicle: 88 FORD MUSTANG GT

thanks for your reply, due to the weather here and my work schedule i have not been able to do what you suggested yet. But i have intentions to do it when the weather breaks and i will let you know what i come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aode08 View Post
Blow a cigar through the brake booster vacuum line, the whole thing, you'll find any vacuum leaks in the motor.Then do the same to the brake booster itself, they can also leak lol.

Do that first and report back, I had the same issue,when modded ill show you free remedies and cant wait to do so, so do that and report back
88horserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement