Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
robotnix
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 92,ford,mustang gt
Default gt40 tubular vs trickflow street burner

hi guys,

I was interested in getting a set of gt40 tubular, top and bottom. then get a new 75mm TB and a new cold air intake for a replacement of all the top.

idea is to change, heads and cam next year.

my problem is the cost for a clean gt40 tubular. why would I pay 600$ for an old used gt40 tubular when I can get for the same money a brand new TF StreetBurner?

I like the look of both but TF is as good if not better for the same price and has more potential for the future.

this seems to me like a no brainer right? TF all the way!! ??
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
robotnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Vehicle: 85 mustang

holley systemax II > tfs street burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 89 Mustang

I would agree that TF will perform be better than the GT40 tubular (though the GT-40 tubular sure looks cool). Edelbrock would as well, though I agree with MJR that Holley is better.
reldla1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1995 mustang GT
ItsUrFuneral

The trick flow R series will make about 25 more horsepower than the GT40. The trick flow will also make slightly more HP than the Holley. The Holley will have a fatter torque curve than the TFS below 5500rpms. But to answer your original question. The TFstreet burner is probably a wise purchase for the same money as the GT40.
ENGINE363 fully forged dart engine on the way with more spray!TRANNY C4 with trans brake, 3800 stall, 9in. raceconverter, hurst shifter REAR Moser 35 spline kit with spool, FRPP 3.73 gearsSUSPENION UPR pro street Uppers & lower control arms, Strange 10 way dampers, coilovers up front, BBK sub frame connectors, UPR Tube K-member & A-arms10.57@123.9 (OLD 5.0)
2011 CamaroSS 12.34@110.92

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 07-14-2014 at 11:43 PM.
bluebeastsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
robotnix
1st Gear Member

thank you guys very much appreciate your input.

so discarding the gt40 tubular

which one would YOU pick and why for 600-700 dollars considering the car will never see a race track and it's mostly a week-end car that has to be street legal and drivable?

also it will have to give room for future improvements such as (heads and cam).

trickflow R, trickflow street, holley.... and so on...

thanks.

Last edited by robotnix; 07-15-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

what is the rest of the build that the intake will be sitting on top of??

Quote:
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
robotnix
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr46 View Post
what is the rest of the build that the intake will be sitting on top of??
very good question

I don't know yet.

that's why I said an intake that will keep the doors open for me for the future.

I would say 300-500$ for cams and 1200-1600$ for heads.

I have done some reading and from what I could understand trickflow will keep all the doors open for me that's why my first option is trickflow but I need to do some reading about holley I know very little about them.

so with that budget in mind I guess pick whatever you want that keep the car very drivable and street legal.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1995 mustang GT
ItsUrFuneral

Trying to piece it together a little at a time is difficult but I personally think you'd be better off going a little bigger on the intake like the trickflow "R" or the Holley. That way if you decide to put a killer set of heads on it down the road your set up for it. And the $1600 you mentioned will get some pretty decent heads! You wont see optimal gains right now but down the road a good Heads/Cam/Intake combo will get you a very fun low 12 second car. I originally went with the "R" series because I thought it would be a good fit on the 363. Then I said F%&k it and went with a carb. So much for planning.
ENGINE363 fully forged dart engine on the way with more spray!TRANNY C4 with trans brake, 3800 stall, 9in. raceconverter, hurst shifter REAR Moser 35 spline kit with spool, FRPP 3.73 gearsSUSPENION UPR pro street Uppers & lower control arms, Strange 10 way dampers, coilovers up front, BBK sub frame connectors, UPR Tube K-member & A-arms10.57@123.9 (OLD 5.0)
2011 CamaroSS 12.34@110.92

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 07-15-2014 at 05:26 PM.
bluebeastsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
robotnix
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
So much for planning.
LOL exactly.
I can plan all I want at the end of the day if there is something better, newer the plans will change.

I will have to read about holley and TF 'R' see what they can do for me.

thanks
Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

get a holley systemax 2 and send it to TMOSS over on the corral.net and have him port to match tfs tw 170 heads and contact ED at www.flowtechinduction for a cam, get a full exhaust on the car at least 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 headers and 2 1/2 to 3 inch from the headers back roller rockers and all the other typical bolt ons and you shound have an easy 300-325 at the rear wheels

Quote:
Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement