5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Broken AODE to T5 swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 02:52 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mbeer
Got the flywheel torqued up with blue loctite and installed the pilot bearing and clutch...with blue loctite. Was in the process of removing the shifter for the auto and it started to hail.

Oh well, maybe it'll pass and let me proceed. At least it's getting closer to done.
You picked a hell of a time of year to work outside on a car lol
Old 11-07-2014, 05:57 PM
mbeer
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately I didn't pick the time. The AODE picked the time when it went bad.

I got the old shifter out today in between showers.
I'll be working on it tomorrow for sure.

Hopefully I can get this done this weekend.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:13 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Sounds like your real close.

Last time I pulled the T5 out of my 86 I did it in about 3 1/2 hrs out and back in. Lol but I have had a ton of T5 transmissions out so I know exactly what tools I need and what has to be done in what order.

Last edited by dawson1112; 11-07-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 PM
mbeer
1st Gear Member

I'm real close to finished. Just couldn't get it today.

I have to wait for the vacuum 'T' fitting. Advance didn't have it and they said they have to order it from the dealer. They'll have it in 3 days.

That's ok though, I have other stuff to do while I wait.

Where I'm at:

When I went to put in the bell housing I found that it had locator pins in it. So did the block.

Rather than mess around under the car I decided it would be a good idea to take the ones out that were in the bell. They were stuck in there pretty good. I couldn't move them with vice grips so I put a bead of weld on them. I was then able to move them but just barely. I finally ended up using a slide hammer to get them out.

Drilled and tapped.
Name:  BellDowelpin01_zpsfe3e6066.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  94.6 KB

I welded 2 bolts together to adapt my slide hammer for this application.
A 1/4-20 bolt for the drilled and tapped pin and a 10m fine thread to screw into the slide hammer adapter.
Name:  BellDowelpin03_zps51baa082.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  92.3 KB

Upside down on the sawhorses and it worked real good. Didn't take much time or effort once the adapter was made. That's my son in the pic watching and learning.
Name:  BellDowelpin05_zps88dc17a8.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  109.6 KB

I got the trans in last night.

...and the hole for the shifter cut out today.
Name:  Shifterhole01_zpsc6efb380.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  86.3 KB

I also got the clutch cable hooked up, drive shaft installed, took off the load leveler for the engine lift and getting ready to install the upper intake.

Got PCV valve and related vacuum lines, ordered the 'T' fitting for the vacuum and worked on freeing up my distributor.

Got the steering rack mounted and the steering shaft attached. Got the exhaust hung but still have to tighten everything there. By this time it was getting cold as it was after dark.

Stuff to do:

I still have to tighten the exhaust and get the H pipe to seal in the middle of the H. It seems like the 2 halves of the crossover pipe are too short.

Have to figure out wiring to the trans. wire tie the wiring up and get a new speedo gear.

Have to put the upper intake on and hook all related stuff up with new vacuum lines.

Have to install center console, drivers seat, and bottom of dash under the steering wheel.

Have to order and install shifter boots.

Next comes the ear to ear grin when I light em up and wake up the neighbors.

I think I'll change the rear gears in the spring cos I believe I have the 2.?? gears that were stock with the AODE. The rear is leaking anyway and needs attention.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Congrats, won't be long now. Great updates and pics. Just hoping you wrap this up and can enjoy a little play time before the snow flies. They're forecasting 18" of snow today about 4 hrs north of me.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:18 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
. They're forecasting 18" of snow today about 4 hrs north of me.
HAAA haaaaaa better you than me lol
Old 11-10-2014, 08:30 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mbeer
Next comes the ear to ear grin when I light em up and wake up the neighbors.

I think I'll change the rear gears in the spring cos I believe I have the 2.?? gears that were stock with the AODE. The rear is leaking anyway and needs attention.
If it was me , Id do the gears before I ever even drove it ,

the t5 coupled with some 3.73 gears and you would think, , , WhyTH did ford ever put an auto with 2.73 gears in these cars lol .
Old 11-10-2014, 04:47 PM
mbeer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
If it was me , Id do the gears before I ever even drove it ,
I'd like to but I can't right now. As you can see I'm working outside.
It's getting colder.

Question: Is it normal for the drill to load up and stop when spinning the oil pump?
It's a new high volume pump and a 1/3 HP drill so I'm thinking oil pressure is stopping the drill. Made it smoke too.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:01 PM
mbeer
1st Gear Member

Ok, I crossed the NSS wires, got it down off the jack stands tonight and started it.

It idles rough and the oil pressure isn't what I'd like to see (going by the gauge on the dash) but there is some. Smoked like crazy for awhile. Burning off the oily fingerprints I guess.

Stuff to do:(updated)

Get a new speedo gear.

Wire up BU light switch and probably NSS since I have a remote starter on it.

Have to install center console as soon as I get my shifter boot, and bottom of dash under the steering wheel.

Have to order and install shifter boots. << Ordered 1 tunnel seal. That'll have to do for now.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:53 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Ohhh, so your next post should be the good one lol.

I'll start it for you.......... " HOLY CRAP, feels like I gained 100hp"

Quick Reply: Broken AODE to T5 swap in progress