5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1993 Mustang won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:55 PM
RAD9871

Default 1993 Mustang won't stay running

Hey all, I used to be on here quite a bit, but no longer had a fox....I have since forgotten my old account. I recently picked up a 2.3 fox that I am planning on doing a 5.0 swap on eventually. I am just trying to get it running for now so I can move it around the yard. Sorry for asking the question here, but I figure a lot of the EFI management is similar...and the 2.3 forum looks dead.

I pulled it out of a field and it was sitting for around 4 years, but ran when parked. I threw a battery in it and fuel pump would not come on and it turns out it was bad, so I swapped it out.

After changing the pump and adding fresh gas, the car started up and ran very rough, then smoothed out (I assume junk gas in the lines). After idling for a few minutes, it died and did not want to restart (would run for a few seconds or so and that's all). I left it until the next day, tried to start it again and it ran for about 2 mins or so and died. I have not been able to get it to stay running for any length of time since. When it would run and die out, it seemed like it was running out of fuel or something. Idle would drop way down, it would sputter, then die.

I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and jumped the fuel pump test port and it will maintain 32-34 psi and hold there once the pump is off. I think this is sufficient fuel pressure to run, but I am not sure.

The car did not high idle when it was running so I checked the ECT and ACT sensor, both were reading in the correct range. I tried running it with the MAF unplugged and that made no difference. I also tried unplugging the IAC and increasing the idle with the screw to see if that would help and that made no difference.

Car will also not start with the fuel pedal partly or fully depressed. I am not sure where to go from here without throwing money at the car. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could check next?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:42 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Maybe plugged fuel filter from sediment in tank from sitting ? Will it continue to run if you squirt some gas down the throttle body when it is running ?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 AM
RAD9871

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Maybe plugged fuel filter from sediment in tank from sitting ? Will it continue to run if you squirt some gas down the throttle body when it is running ?
I just swapped the fuel filter yesterday and it did not make any difference. I haven't tried squirting gas in the TB because I didn't have a second set of hands at the time.

If i go start it when stone cold, it will run for a few seconds then won't on future attempts. It tries to run when cranking the key (fires slightly when cranking), but won't stay running when you let off the key. Fuel pressure seems good, unless the injectors aren't firing, it should be getting fuel. I could hear it returning to the tank and it was maintaining pressure at 33 psi with the connector jumped.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:47 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Ok, I'd grab some starting fluid, open throttle body and give it a good 2-3 second spray. Then try starting the car. If she fires right up, then you know you have a fuel issue.

Your fuel pressure is a little low at 33, it should be more around 37-38, but should still run I'd think.

Here's a link I've used a couple times that may help you out.... it's a good read with alot of helpful information.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,588.0.html

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 10-25-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:04 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

Yours is a dual plug car right? If one of the coil packs is bad or the wires aren't correct it could have a hard time running as the timing won't be correct. Try the starting fluid and check your plugs. If they're wet you're getting fuel but the spark isn't there.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:57 PM
RAD9871

It wouldn't start when I sprayed starting fluid in the intake. I checked for spark and it has spark. Plugs were also soaked in fuel so I am assuming fuel isn't the issue. So i guess that either means my spark isn't strong enough or it's out of time.