5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help with MAF conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 05:47 PM
Bubba Jones

Default Help with MAF conversion!

I hope this is the right section to post this, sorry if it isn't.

My friend owns a 1967 Mustang with a 94 302 and a manual transmission (t5.)

He had me install a new camshaft/fuel injectors/intake/rocker arms so it is set up like the Cobra motors.

I did all the work, and the vehicles starts and drives now, but needs a tune due to the new camshaft/injectors etc. It was running well and properly before the swap, but runs a little rough and rich now due to improper fueling and air/fuel ratio management (which was expected from the swap before getting it tuned)

It appeared to me that the mustang was already converted to MAF, but apparently it is not... upon bringing the mustang to the tuning shop, they discovered it is a speed density type setup and it's running off an aftermarket PCM type setup.

Here is what I'm working with:

Engine Bay currently:

MAF and PCM for the conversion:

Wiring to the current "computer":

"Computer" setup:

MAP sensor:

What I thought was the MAF sensor but may be something else:

New PCM wiring Diagram:

We have the proper PCM and MAF sensor for the conversion, and the mustang currently runs and drives with the setup (so all the fuel injectors/fuel pump etc are working properly).

=============================================

My questions are:

What systems do I need to wire up to the new pcm to get the vehicle operating properly?

I assume I'll need the wire in the injectors, coolant temperature sensor, oxygen sensors, and fuel pump, but I am not sure what other systems will be required to run off the PCM.

It does not have any emission equipment on it and will not be driven as a daily so emission components (such as the EGR/AIR valve) are not present.

Can I keep the ignition and other non-fuel related systems wired to the current setup, and just transfer the needed wires to the pcm to get it to turn on and monitor the fuel?

I'm pretty capable of wiring nightmares, but I'm quite unfamiliar with this setup. I'm not dummy when it comes to working on vehicles, I swapped a 7.3 powerstroke into my 96 302 Bronco by myself, so I have the ability to get things done.

However, I'd like a little help and guidance on this since I'm not too familiar with it yet. If I can skimp by and not have to trace every system and wire to to proper pin for the new PCM, that would be amazing. Tracing only the fuel injectors and some other things wouldn't be nearly as much work!

Thank you for any help and information!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:49 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Well geez, don't you have any simple questions that I can help with......lol.

Welcome to the forum first off, glad to have you.

There are a couple guys on this forum that definitely will know more on which route to go. I'd just be blindly leading you into a huge can of worms.

Hopefully they'll check in soon, but please understand that these forums are a dying breed. Nothing like it use to be a couple years ago. It may take a day or two.

But here's my thoughts, dump all the aftermarket stuff and stick with the factory conversation and factory parts. I think that will be the path of least resistance in the end.

Good luck
Old 10-27-2016, 03:07 PM
Bubba Jones

Haha well thank you for your advice!

Yeah I assume it would be less complicated to get all factory parts, I'm just not sure how available/expensive they will be.

He's already spent a good deal on wiring/extra parts so we're trying to keep the costs down as low as we can get them, but that's not always an option when doing large projects!

I found out the wiring kit on it now is a "Painless Perfect" standalone efi harness PRF-65120. It's designed as a speed density setup and has it's own computer type thing.

I called painless and they don't have the wiring pinout for the system and said it can't be adapted to fit the new computer.

Now I know it won't be super easy, but I know it COULD be adapted if I pin the wires out correctly (cut up the harness and make a new 60 pin connector). I just need to figure out if that's worth the time or now trying to decipher each wire......

Otherwise it we go with factory stuff, would I need the engine wiring harness and the fuel injector wiring harness and that's it? Or would I be missing some other components as well?
Old 10-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Bubba Jones

Just as an update, my friend is going to buy a harness (engine/fuel injectors/o2 sensor) from a 90LX mustang.

If I pull out the old harness, I don't think it should be incredibly difficult to wire in the ignition and other necessities.

Maybe I can keep the old wiring partly intact for the body/chassis, and just wire up the engine bay wiring.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:50 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

That may work, but I'm pretty sure the Fox harness isn't going to be " plug and play" on a SN 302. Might have to do your research to see what's involved with that swap. I'd personally look for a 94-95 harness to simplify as much as possible.

Good luck
Old 10-30-2016, 01:33 AM
Bubba Jones

Yeah I did some looking into it. Due to the body wiring not being stock at all (not 100% sure what's there yet on the 67 mustang) I know I'll have some modifications to do for the fuel pump and ignition. It looks like potentially o2 sensor stuff as well but im not too sure yet.

I went over almost all of the harness my friend bought and it appears that the TPS, ACT and ECT (for the computer not the gauges) plugs are not the same as what's on the car now. I'm not sure if I can alter the current wiring to fit into that gauge, or if I'm going to have to get different sensor (in case what's on now have different calibrations).

I'll know more once I get to take the current harness off and start plugging in the current one.

I don't think there were any local 94-95 harness available, and the computer that he bought was from a 90 mustang so I there may have had to be modifications either way.

I'm hoping this won't be super difficult once I get down to it.