5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

most common problems with foxes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
19905.0stang
1st Gear Member

just turned 18 and got my 90 mustang from my dad it has 225k with all original drivetrain and still eating hondas for breakfast the only problems me and my dad have had is the map light dont work cruise control dont work and the electric locks dont work but other than that i havent had to many problems with the idle or speedo thank god the biggest problem is what i want to blow my money on to make it go faster and those piece of sh** hondas that think there fast
Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
CrewChief88Fox

I just recently bought my Fox about a week ago, its an 88 GT with 73 + miles on it all stock got it got 3500 and it runs strong, i do have the little squeaks and noises that most have and of course the infamous astray cover being crap. Although my interior is in decent shape. Also my map light doesn't work as well and my fog lights just went out like two days ago. I've seen some people with the map light issue but wondered if anyone actually had a solution to this prob? I havent had the fun of working on the car on a constant basis but even being so new to the Fox body i absolutely love it. :]
Old 09-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

I've had mine for 16 years, and my ashtray door still works. Of course all the friggin paint is flaking off it...

+1 on the bouncing speedo needle, rattling ebrake handle, bypassed heater core, and alternator.

The alternator went bye bye, and I did the 130 amp 3G alternator fix. Now it has plenty of juice, even with the electric fan. Now to tackle the dreaded heater core...
Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

My map light works, my ashtray works but the only problem i have is my damn foglights stopped working and also when i switch to high or low beams, sometimes the headlights go out. But my fox has been great to me.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:39 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by silverpony41
My map light works, my ashtray works but the only problem i have is my damn foglights stopped working and also when i switch to high or low beams, sometimes the headlights go out. But my fox has been great to me.
Been having this issue myself, flickering real bad, and does it with dims on long enough. I read it happens a lot with updated headlights, the issue is rig up a relay system
Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

They are outdated....but mine still runs like a champ ! No problems here every thing works and has Never been ****ed with .... "the most common problems with foxes?" Everybody and there neighbors has had there hands on them for the last 25 years,weekends Mechanics that ruin such nice cars! Enjoy the view
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MS3Stang
what are the most common problems and headaches with our fox bodies?

1) douchebag drivers
2) broken seat mounts
3) heater core
4) rust on the trunk/hatch underlip, and behind the rear wheel

probably about it...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Pusha_G

Originally Posted by MS3Stang
what are the most common problems and headaches with our fox bodies?
BS SPEEDING TICKETS !!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

After reading all this, I just went to my fox and the damn power locks don't work and when I slam the passenger door, the door will unlock itself. Damn all of you. :/
Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

my 85 hatch has a few problems... driver door handle broke. have to finagle it a bit to catch the rod.
map light dont work,
fog lights are gone. fog light switch stuck like hell...
arm rest latch is broke.
no cup holders,
ashtray cover is perfect. not that i need it working i dont smoke.
it grinds shifting it into reverse. ill try putting it in another gear b4 i go into reverse.
the hatch doesnt latch fully. i go over bumps and ya hear it bouncing around...
the speedo dont work.
no head liner,
arm rests do suck.
fuel door dont work unless ignition on. 2 drain plugs to drain oil.
hood prop sucks when wind blows... quite a few times the damn hood came crashing down on me because the wind blew hard and hood prop came out.
cant find aftermarket headlights for my four eyed fox..
the one wheel burnout...
has stock hood not a nice cowl hood.
no rear spoiler.
windsheild squirter dont work... it makes the noise but no fluid comes out.
ac dont work.

origionally im not a mustang guy. always loved and owned fords. really want a falcon conv. or ranchero with a cummings. but the deal i got on this car from my mother in law i couldnt pass up on the car...

Quick Reply: most common problems with foxes?