5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

any mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:46 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: any mechanics?

ahh wish I would have known that last night, thanks adder, I will ask you for help if I need it on my nissan
Old 10-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

haha yeah Im going to just use my impact gun on that booger...
but first I have to get the old one off...

I got everything apart but the bolt on the a arm under the axle... me and my dad messed with it for about an hour and gave up because it got dark... is there a special tool to use or some secret? very frustrating lol
careful when you break loose. it could be reverse thread. Meaning Lefty tighty, righty loosey. Passenger side on my 87 sentra was like that. Took me a day to figure that out.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

WHOA WHOA WHOA.. everyone STFU

Considering I worked for nissan, I have to say, you are going about this ALL wrong..

it shouldnt have taken you more then 30 minutes to chage that axle.. you DO NOT need to seperate the balljoint.

put the spindle back up in place and put the two bolts back through the end of the strut... then smack the end of the axle with a hammer. it will pop loose. THEN remove the spindle bolts, pull the spindle down and slide the axle out.

next time you have to do ANYTHING to your nissan... ask me. Im a factory certified Tech
That would work fine but aren't the struts bolts cambered? They were on the 87. Meaning if he does it your way he WILL need an alignment. That's the only reason I didn't do it that way. Dropping the balljoint gives you that extra play to get the spindle side to pop out without having to mess with those cambered strut bolts.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:07 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Derf00

That would work fine but aren't the struts bolts cambered? They were on the 87. Meaning if he does it your way he WILL need an alignment. That's the only reason I didn't do it that way. Dropping the balljoint gives you that extra play to get the spindle side to pop out without having to mess with those cambered strut bolts.
no, they are not... infact I still have a few in my toolbox if you want me to take a picture for you
Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

haha yeah Im going to just use my impact gun on that booger...
but first I have to get the old one off...

I got everything apart but the bolt on the a arm under the axle... me and my dad messed with it for about an hour and gave up because it got dark... is there a special tool to use or some secret? very frustrating lol
careful when you break loose. it could be reverse thread. Meaning Lefty tighty, righty loosey. Passenger side on my 87 sentra was like that. Took me a day to figure that out.
Thanks for the heads up, I will be finishing tomorrow after work, I dont get off until 10pm tonight
Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

no, they are not... infact I still have a few in my toolbox if you want me to take a picture for you
I'm not saying you're wrong. The '91 is different than the '87-90 then. In '87 they (lower mounting strut bolts)were cambered. My parents still own the damn thing with over 250K on it...[&:]and I know that car from top to bottom since I did all of the work on it.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM
F250sd
1st Gear Member

I would usually just seperate the balljoint and never touch the spindle/strut bolts. I find it easier for me that way. Every one has their own method, but I do all different makes of cars some have alignment issues seperating the spindle from the strut, some don't, but if I just seperate the balljoint, I don't have to worry about it.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

oh well its over and done with already...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I prefer to do it by the spindle bolts, then get paid the extra .3 to do the alignment, which the car probably needed anyway
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 PM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

so did you get her whipped?

Quick Reply: any mechanics?