5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1989 Mustang California Special Edition Saleen INFO??? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:41 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
It has gt ground effects and a saleen front facia...and non saleen wheels and on the left front top of the bumper saleen authentically numbered which production number it was and I see GT seats...saleens had halo headrests and a 2 inch cowl hood = not a saleen trade mark......bottom line is my 92 has a cobra emblem plastered on it and a saleen wing does that make it a cobra saleen.....ya' know those are the rarest of 'em all ??? but your correct...who's to say it isn't legit????.....without looking it over first hand no telling what it really is but based on visual evidence it doesn't bare the marks of a real saleen

I know it is not a production Saleen that was sold nationaly, but it is very possible it was a side project Saleen did on some GT's with out body mods for Cali.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:09 PM
nitrousd85
2nd Gear Member

the thunder bolt was a bad *** truck i have a pic floating around somewhere
i dont have much to say on the saleen but hey who knows it may be real or it may be fake
.............. Who has steve saleens # call his a$$ he would know
Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by cleanfitty
I know it is not a production Saleen that was sold nationaly, but it is very possible it was a side project Saleen did on some GT's with out body mods for Cali.
if that's the case it's nothing of real value....the production saleen's are the ones you'd want and at that if you could find one of the SUPERCHARGED fox saleens those would be a catch as there were only a handfull produced with the S/C
Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

That isn't the vin. The vin is in the car. This is a separate piece. Maybe it was the one that goes under the hood... Haha. I am posting this all for my buddy right now, and he said he had a plaque and that is what he gave me...
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrousd85
the thunder bolt was a bad *** truck i have a pic floating around somewhere
i dont have much to say on the saleen but hey who knows it may be real or it may be fake
.............. Who has steve saleens # call his a$$ he would know
I love that truck..

Mjr 90 sc saleeen =badass i love the fox saleens
Old 10-31-2008, 12:25 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
if that's the case it's nothing of real value....
It still makes it rare... and it may be of some value...

like a few others
The NF-155

The Saleen Ranger

The Thunderbolt Ranger

Old 03-24-2011, 12:55 AM
LOW N GO

Default 89 SALEEN CA EDITION

I have some info that might help you in you question about your car. I saw that you posted questins about your car about 3 years ago and looks like no one can give you any info. I ran into your question because I'm looking at buying a 89 California Edition Saleen and I was trying to refresh my memory on these rare Saleens. Back in 1989 my buddy used to work for Fremont Ford in Nor Cal. There was a Ford car show at Sears Point. He asked me to go with him because he was taking his car to the show...but he had to drive a Saleen to his dealership also. When we got to Sears Point Raceway, it was an all Ford event. Car show, drag racing and auto crossing. On the hill in the backround was a mountain side full of white Saleen Mustangs. As I remember ...each dealership in Nor Cal was alotted one per dealership. At the end of the show/event...I drove the Saleen to my friends house while he drove his show car. As I remember, they were all white, grey interior, white mesh wheels, stock motor with the Racecraft Suspension and the "Racecraft Suspension" sticker with "by Steve Saleen" in turqouise, just like your pic. If I remeber correctly, it had the MOMO steering wheel and Saleen shifter. Other than that I don't remember any other upgrades. It's a cross between a GT and a Saleen...hope this info helps. At least you now know how your car got to the dealership!!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:02 AM
LOW N GO

Ooops, also if my memory serves me right, GT ground effects with Saleen front bumper. There should be a production # on the front bumper, and LX taillights with the GT/LX tail...not the Saleen tail. Call Saleen with your VIN# and they should be able to cross ref it for you. Don't call Ford, they have no clue about these cars....most people don't. I have to call Saleen myself with the VIN of the one I'm looking at purchasing. Hope this info helps..
Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Flossy

Slakkr183 is my good buddy. I will have to tell him to hop back on this thread.

So far from what I have seen they are just Stock GT body kit and everything with the Racecraft Suspension, 5.0 Emblem Delete... All of them are white, with gray interior, and I believe they all have sunroof.

I found a website with info on them for Gabe a few years ago and read there were 499 made in '89, and 500 made in '90.

I will try and find the website again. It was pretty neat.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 AM
LOW N GO

I stand corrected, after looking at the car I want to buy....the car still has the GT lights with the GT ground effects all the way around and says "California Edition on the rear of the spoiler

Quick Reply: 1989 Mustang California Special Edition Saleen INFO??? Anyone?