5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0 engine plaque restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

Default 5.0 engine plaque restoration

As us 5.0 owner's know, sometimes the engine plaque shows that it has seen better days. I had a day off and wanted to fix this. The engine plaque is easily removed by two screws, use a torx bit to remove the screws, after they are removed the engine plaque easily comes off. Clean the plaque with some degreaser to remove any oil or greese that could be on it, it will allow the paint to adhere better to the surface. The next step is to sand down the surface of the plaque. I personally choose to leave it a little dull to give it the stressed look. Use an air compressor to blow any dust, paint chips, or grit away. Then use painters tape, or masking tape to cover the the engine plaque, put it on securelly so you can feel the recessed design of the plaque under your fingers. After that has been completed get a razor blade and use the tip to follow the lines of the design and cut out the pieces of tape to expose the surface that is going to be painted. This step can be tedious but remember the time you take to do this will be the reults youll find after the finished job. After that step has been completed its time to paint. Make sure to use a paint that can withstand heat (i used a product that can withstand 500 F) and spray at least 3 coats. Reason being the paint that ford uses has a texture to it, any pieces that didnt fully come off while sanding will show the texture with only 2 coats being used. After the paint has dried fully you can use the same razor as before to remove the tape from the surface of the plaque. After all the tape has been removed it is your choice if you would like to add a clear coat (again use a product that can withstand heat) or not. The clear coat will add a shine to the paint and metal of the plaque, will also help the plaque from oxidizing again. After your all done replace the plaque and take a look at your work. Overall it took me about 2 hours do all of the above, and my results were worth every minute. i have included four pictures as well to help illustrate the process.
Attached Thumbnails 5.0 engine plaque restoration-resto-001.jpg   5.0 engine plaque restoration-resto-002.jpg   5.0 engine plaque restoration-resto-003.jpg   5.0 engine plaque restoration-resto-004.jpg  
Old 01-09-2009, 03:42 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

Picture 1: is after the razor blade was used to expose the surface that is going to be painted. Picture 2: is after 4 coats of High Gloss Black paint has been applied. Picture 3: is after the painters tape has been removed, and before any clear coat has been applied. Picture 4: is after 3 coats of high luster clear coat has been applied.

Last edited by zippo2341; 01-09-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-09-2009, 08:01 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'd of used a high speed buffer and alum wheel polish and see what that's of done
Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

One trick to save yourself some time in the future. Instead of using tape use a thin coat of vaseline. The paint will adhere to it but not stick to the substrate. Once the paint dries just scrap the vaseline off with your finger nail or a plastic scraper.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

I would have used a buffer to polish it away but my black paint had pealed up in a few areas, ive heard of the vasoline trick, i just have never tried it it does work pretty good though?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I just painted the whole thing without a mask, then using an orbital sander, sanded the flat surface till the paint came off... gave me a nice brushed finish, but I need to take it back off and clean it up cuz I didnt clear it....
Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

You don't have to mask it, all you do is paint the whole thing and then wipe it with a paper towel, when it's still wet, and it will take off the top layer, painted and polished mine
Attached Thumbnails 5.0 engine plaque restoration-engineplenum2_0008.jpg  
Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

I do alot of part restoration and for things like that I usually paint the whole thing and then use Lacquer Thinner to remove the excess...... always works well. Yours looks great though.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 01-10-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

That intake plaque looks like new. Mine looks like yours before your painted it.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 AM
PUDman
1st Gear Member

Shelty's got the best and easiest way IMO
Attached Thumbnails 5.0 engine plaque restoration-5.0.jpg  

Quick Reply: 5.0 engine plaque restoration