5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Please help a newby price his next purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 PM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Default Please help a newby price his next purchase

Hi guys... this is my first post so be easy on me (yeah, right).

I'm looking at an 86' GT Convertible redone end to end with a built 302 .030 over, rebuilt trans, rear, new interior and a bunch of goodies. It has a $3500 paint job on it, new leather red/white interior, carpets, tons of extras... The price is set at $8500 and the car drives beautifully. I'm pushing for $7Kish. The car is an auto, so that is my only issue with it that I'm having with it and that can be rectified. It also has a huuuuge tail on it which I'm not too keen on. I'm sure that can be fixed as well.

Here's the official list on their website (it's a dealer)

302.030 Over 30 lb injectors, Aftermarket Mass Air Flow System by Pro-Racing, 70MM Throttle Body, Walbro Fuel Pump, K&N Filter Charger, Prom-M Cobra Computer Comp Hight Output Cam & Springs, Built AOD w/ Shift Kit, MSD Wires, BBK Exhaust w/ Flow Master Mufflers, Stamped Steel Roller Rockers, High Volume Oil Pump, Double Roller Timing Chain, Billet Aluminum Valve Covers, Smog Pump Eliminator Kit, All New A/C System, Unister Rack & Pinion, Optima Battery, Milodon Oil Pan, Stall Convertor, Stock Heads worked over, New KUMKO Tires (23550R15,) Chrome Pony Rims, Stock; Dash, Console and Radio, Automatic Transmission, New Brakes and Lines, Cruise Control, Tilt Wheel, Fog Lights, Electric Top, Electric Windows and Door Locks. ALL NEW; Upholstered Convertible Top, Seats, Visors, Padded Roll Bar, Carpet, Pony Mats, Custom Car Cover. Garage kept.

I don't think I can post pictures yet as I'm a newby....

Any advice on pricing and what kind of flaws I should be looking for would be highly appreciated. You can look at pics at raleighmotors do net.. used inventory.... (no stealing it from me please!).

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 PM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Ug... I'm so confused. I don't know what half the parts that are listed really do. I feel like a dork. Someone be my hero and tell me what they think about this car... please.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 AM
88white5.0
2nd Gear Member

doesnt sound like a bad car.

check torque boxes underneath.

where the upper and the lower control arms connect to the uni-body. if there are signs of tearing or ripping, or the spot welds not holding them anymore. walk away from the car and find something else.

also check for rust in the engine bay behind the strut towers. check the underside lip of the trunk for rust and bubbles, that is also very common.

dont let the seller **** with you by saying "built" this and "built" that. doesnt mean ****. from the way you described its far from "built" its a stock rebuild with E6 heads. E6 heads arent really anything that special. actually they are junk, E7's came on the 87+ cars that could be a good swap for this car or even some gt-40's

after seeing pics i wouldnt pay much for $6500 for it personally but its up to you.. its a nice car. and the interior is nice. Just not my style. and 8 grand is a little high.

Last edited by 88white5.0; 03-12-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Thats too much in my opinion, i personally wouldn't pay more than 5k. It's really clean... but the dealer is obviously going to mark it up.

here's the link to make it easier.

http://www.dealercarsearch.com/photo...bgColor=000000

Last edited by Hollister Hoodlum; 03-12-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Need to see some pics!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I have been reading about the heads in the 86' and I understand that they hold the car back a bit but it has plenty of power for me. I will have the car looked over for the points that you mentioned regarding rust. I'm waiting on the documentation for the entire "build" so I can better gauge the car's worth.

Thanks Hollister for posting the link to the pics. I didn't know I could already post links. I'm used to other forums where I can't until I have a minimum number of posts.

Here's the link again.....http://www.dealercarsearch.com/photo...bgColor=000000

I can probably get the dealer down a little for the car. He's been driving it on weekends for a year. The car and dealership come highly recommended and they are a full shop. My own shop will go through the car end to end if it can pass the wife test today.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:41 AM
88white5.0
2nd Gear Member

dont go over 6.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

This car is actually a frame off restoration car as I just learned and confirmed. I now have all receipts including $20K+. I can't believe that someone went through all this trouble on this particular car. I'm hooked and will be picking it up next week. I'm at $7700 right now. It's really show quality and will only be ruined by daily driving IMHO. I guess the right buyer found the right car and is willing to pay a little more than most. Oh well... it's not like the economy is bad right now.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mebirkle
Hi guys... this is my first post so be easy on me (yeah, right).

I'm looking at an 86' GT Convertible redone end to end with a built 302 .030 over, rebuilt trans, rear, new interior and a bunch of goodies. It has a $3500 paint job on it, new leather red/white interior, carpets, tons of extras... The price is set at $8500 and the car drives beautifully. I'm pushing for $7Kish. The car is an auto, so that is my only issue with it that I'm having with it and that can be rectified. It also has a huuuuge tail on it which I'm not too keen on. I'm sure that can be fixed as well.

Here's the official list on their website (it's a dealer)

302.030 Over
30 lb injectors,
Aftermarket Mass Air Flow System by Pro-Racing
, 70MM Throttle Body,
Walbro Fuel Pump,
K&N Filter Charger,
Prom-M Cobra Computer
Comp Hight Output Cam & Springs,
Built AOD w/ Shift Kit,
MSD Wires,
BBK Exhaust w/ Flow Master Mufflers,
Stamped Steel Roller Rockers,
High Volume Oil Pump,
Double Roller Timing Chain,
Billet Aluminum Valve Covers,
Smog Pump Eliminator Kit,
All New A/C System,
Unister Rack & Pinion,
Optima Battery,
Milodon Oil Pan,
Stall Convertor,
Stock Heads worked over,
New KUMKO Tires (23550R15,)
Chrome Pony Rims,
Stock; Dash, Console and Radio,
Automatic Transmission,
New Brakes and Lines,
Cruise Control, Tilt Wheel, Fog Lights, Electric Top, Electric Windows and Door Locks. ALL NEW; Upholstered Convertible Top, Seats, Visors, Padded Roll Bar, Carpet, Pony Mats, Custom Car Cover. Garage kept.

I don't think I can post pictures yet as I'm a newby....

Any advice on pricing and what kind of flaws I should be looking for would be highly appreciated. You can look at pics at raleighmotors do net.. used inventory.... (no stealing it from me please!).

Thanks!
so all of that is pretty much replacement parts. stuff that you would normally replace with wear and tear. most of the parts are for a rebuilt motor that you SHOULD replace since its tore down. no way would i pay that much
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

Depends what you want.

He could buy that car for 7,700$ or whatever, and have a completely restored ( though stock) mustang, show condition as he said. Or he could buy a stock one not as nice for cheaper, and spend more than the 7k just to restore it to the condition that this car is in.

If he wants a really nice stock mustang in show condition, then buy that car. Otherwise he'll be spending more money to restore one on his own.

Quick Reply: Please help a newby price his next purchase