5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Restoring CHP #E408395

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default Space was tight...

...and my camera battery died after 3 pictures. Strong backlighting and direct sunlight made it difficult to get good picture quality too. But here are a few more shots with a better camera showing the car rubbed out -

It's nice to see paint on the car that actually reflects an image (the old gray was dull). I am very happy with their work thus far. I did notice a couple of very minor things, but nothing worth having them re-do the car. They are now prepping the removed parts, and should have them painted soon. Most of the window trim has been stripped and polished too. The side moldings were dropped off today for prep & paint (best described as matte black). The windshield cowl panel and side mirror buckets will also be painted a matte black.

It's so nice to see the car coming along!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:11 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Nothing glamorous to report in this installment, but I did replace the tail light lenses over the weekend.

I popped out the old lenses, removed the 5 retaining clips, and scraped out the tar strip that sits inside the channel of the tail light bucket. In addition to getting new lenses, you need to also order a new installation kit with a fresh tar strip and new clips. After a quick clean up of the buckets, I popped the new lens in for a test fit and compared it to the old lens. The one on the left is the factory lens, and the right one is the new lens -

I installed the new tack strip around the bucket, and then inserted the clips. Pressing down on the lens with the bucket on the workbench, the lens clipped into place. However, each lens needs a little motivation to stay in place while it is setting up, so I taped each lens with duct tape while pressing the lens tight in that area. I will let them sit like this for about 48 hours -

If I had it to do over again, I would have painted the top edge and inside of each bucket near the license plate area. Once I remove the tape, I may still mask off the lenses and paint the visible edges of the buckets.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default Friday 6/05/2009 Update

Things are moving forward at the body shop!

The rear bumper is being prepped. It doesn't look too pretty at this point -

The doors, the rear decklid, and the hood were being placed into the paint booth while I was there. They'll be painted today -

On Monday they plan to paint the bumpers, front fenders, and side sail panels. The matte black trim paint will be done right after that on those remaining parts. Unless something sidelines their schedule, they plan to start the reassembly on Wednesday, June 10th.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:14 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Getting closer!

I stopped by today (June 8th), and the body shop was prepping the front bumper for primer and paint. The rear bumper is ready for the black topcoat, and so are both front fenders. The side sail panels need prep, but the fuel door is ready for primer.

They decided to reshoot the driver's side door - something messed up the finish so they are going to re-do it. The passenger door was hung on the car -

With the door now hung, the 3/4 front view really shows off the wider 255's out back. They are a subtle difference over stock that many folks fail to notice, but the beefy tires give the car a slight rake for a more menacing look. I would have gone with 275's in the back, but everyone I asked said that 275's on a stock wheel would rub the quad shocks. So I'm happily set with a pair of 255's now.

I'll bring the good camera on Wednesday, 6/10 to capture the progress.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Awesome writeup, I really look forward to the end result.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

nice! i love how i posted like an hour or so ago then you have like 5 more posts of like weeks worth of work haha

nice progress
Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

that is cool
Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

wow what a resto
Old 06-08-2009, 03:23 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
nice! i love how i posted like an hour or so ago then you have like 5 more posts of like weeks worth of work haha

nice progress
teh interwebz is incredibly FAST [haha]

I'm all caught up now in terms of updates. Future updates here will be painfully slow as the car is finished. Once it is home, I have a bunch of stuff to do:
  • Install new dash pad
  • Install new speedo (mine's broken at 140 mph)
  • Install new stereo and speakers
  • Clean the new seats and install with new carpet
  • Install new rear package shelf
  • Install new headliner
  • Remove all window tinting (without damaging the rear defroster)
  • Install CHP rear deck lights
  • Install CHP spotlights
  • Install CHP antennae
  • Complete a minor detailing of engine compartment
Old 06-11-2009, 08:41 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

The driver's door and rear decklid have been mounted to the car. The hood was laid in place, but it still needs to be buffed out. The roof and cowl are still covered in dust, compare to the rear decklid and door.

The front fenders, nose, rear bumper, side sail panels, and gas filler door were in the booth, but none of those pics were worth posting. All of the rubber side moldings have been painted, and the stainless trim is staged to be put on the car soon. I plan to go in again on Friday, 6/12/2009 to take more pictures, but the car should be finished in the body shop very soon!

Quick Reply: Restoring CHP #E408395