5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

best oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Styg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
I will try Purolator on the next change.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
Are you trying to say they are bad???
Nah...oil filters you can crush with your bare hands are very strong and of very high quality! lol
Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
and your point is?
The point is that the Super Tech oil filters are very inexpensively made and might not be the best choice when it comes to an oil filter. Oil filters that can be crushed/dented with your bare hands I feel have a very weak casing and can be easily punctured by road debris kicking up and hitting it. In many years of being in the automotive repair industry, I have seen this happen a few times. It is of course, unusual, but when we have an engine worth thousands and thousands of dollars at stake, it might be wise to spend $3-$5 more for an oil filter that will do a better job of protecting that expensive engine. I personally think it's penny wise and pound foolish to go the cheap route and use cheap filters and oil with an engine that is worth thousands, when for just a little more we can substantially upgrade the protection that oil filter and oil provides. The title of this thread is, "Best Oil Filter?", not, "What's the Cheapest/Lowest Quality Oil Filter Available?". Further, if the oil filter can be dented/crushed merely by hand, what does this say about the quality of the internal parts of that oil filter that we can't see? I wouldn't trust something like that in an engine worth thousands. If it was a farm car used to haul manure between barns, sure, but not for a daily driver and certainly not for a great car like a Mustang.

Last edited by RogerDodger1; 11-05-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
Nah...oil filters you can crush with your bare hands are very strong and of very high quality! lol
90 percent of the filters out there can be dented as such, WIX, FL1A/FORD, BOSCH, MAHLE, FRAM,mobil 1 ECT ECT the list goes on, I have used / stocked all in the past at my shop, point being that can not be used to determine the pure quality often of internals, I have never had a filter on a mustang damaged due to road debris, but I 'm sure some have before which is not solely limited to the mustang, I don't and won't use supertech on my mustangs, I choose often between Ford fl1a and k&n, as for the supertech I have the data to back up it's quality, got my 81 jetta diesel with 155k, it now has 267k with soley having used supertech oil and filters, at first it was done as a joke to the amsoil man a few years ago and he laughed at me as well as did the other techs in my shop, bottom line is , who has the last laugh now and still going....in fact i'M due for another supertech LOF now, just hit the 4k mark
Old 11-05-2009, 12:11 PM
scatfox331
1st Gear Member

i run mc fl1a. but lately been using delco pf2, but hats mainly because i work at a chevy dealer and get them free haha.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Thanks for posting that Fram info. I've been using those for years.Not anymore after reading that.

I just put a Mobil 1 one on my Jeep and the oil got dirty real fast, and I put the Castrol Edge in it.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:16 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
90 percent of the filters out there can be dented as such, WIX, FL1A/FORD, BOSCH, MAHLE, FRAM,mobil 1 ECT ECT the list goes on, I have used / stocked all in the past at my shop, point being that can not be used to determine the pure quality often of internals, I have never had a filter on a mustang damaged due to road debris, but I 'm sure some have before which is not solely limited to the mustang, I don't and won't use supertech on my mustangs, I choose often between Ford fl1a and k&n, as for the supertech I have the data to back up it's quality, got my 81 jetta diesel with 155k, it now has 267k with soley having used supertech oil and filters, at first it was done as a joke to the amsoil man a few years ago and he laughed at me as well as did the other techs in my shop, bottom line is , who has the last laugh now and still going....in fact i'M due for another supertech LOF now, just hit the 4k mark
But it's particularly easy to crush/bend with your bare hands, compared to other better quality oil filters that can cost less to use.

"You getsy what you pays for"
Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1ATony
Thanks for posting that Fram info. I've been using those for years.Not anymore after reading that.

I just put a Mobil 1 one on my Jeep and the oil got dirty real fast, and I put the Castrol Edge in it.
Do you mean dirty, or just changed color? There's a difference. If the oil cleaned out the engine of sludge, carbon, varnish, etc., that's a very good thing and is a strong reason to keep using it. After being in the automotive repair/maintenance business for 25 years, in my professional opinin, Mobil 1 is a much better oil than anything Castrol offers. Plus, Castrol is owned by British Petroleum, a foreign company, whereas Mobil is a U.S. company. Considering the state of the economy in America and the millions of unemployed here and what a devastating effect that is having on our economy and for everyone in America, (just to offer a suggestion), it may be a good idea to try and focus on supporting American companies with our consumer dollars.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Mahon
1st Gear Member

so i have a bosch on my block... waste of money?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mahon
so i have a bosch on my block... waste of money?
Bosch

This used to be another Champion Labs filter sold at Auto Zone, but now it is made by Purolator. It has an impressive surface area and uses a cellulose/synthetic blend media. This should result in well-above average holding capacity. I generally like the Purolator design as well, so I wouldn't hesitate using a Bosch after verifying it was still a Purolator.
should be fine if its a Purolator

Quick Reply: best oil filter?