5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

302Army187's teardown/head;cam swap thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default 302Army187's teardown/head;cam swap thread.

Just thought i would update everybody on my progress as I go.

Can't promise I will update regularly, or with every detail, but I will try the best I can. I also might start new thread's in the Tech section if i run into issues, instead of asking here, that was I can get a quicker answer.

The plan is to tear the motor down by the end of the week, I will then pull the motor, install the cam, check the bearings, replace the pan gasket, then put the motor back in the car.

Will be cleaning up the engine bay as far as oil, dirt and grime. Also will be making it look a tiny bit better by removing the emissions system, and A/C system.

this Is where I started tonight

and two hours later

This was my first time pulling the radiator, as i use to work on my car in a apartment parking lot, so I always worked around it.

For the weight ****'s like myself, the Radiator was right at 20lb's mostly empty.

Any idea who make's this radiator?
It was on the car when I bought it, so I have no idea, just says "Performance Radiator" and a cactus symbol. say's "Radicon, Thailand" So im guessing that's the company name, and origin.....

bent, panted, and jacked up A/C condenser that was obviously blocking a ton of air from my radiator/motor was just a touch over 6lb's

I HATE to see my car down. As as of late this is the BEST the car has ever run. everything is pretty much flawless, got all the little bug's worked out.

but the stock head and cam combo make's the car pretty boring on most day's and its time to finally take it to the next level.

Please subscribe and have fun watching my progress.

Thanks!
-Robert
Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

get it done son
Old 11-15-2009, 09:21 PM
SKAR

done yet?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:23 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
get it done son
indeed.

I hope to be done this time next month. I have alot of little things to do. and a few I have to wait for.

Originally Posted by SKAR
done yet?
isn't that my line to ppl's build threads?????
Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so where did all the freon go?? hope you didn't release it into the atmosphere?? that is against federal law and can carry a fine of 30 days in jail and 4500 dolla' fine...lol bwwwwwwwahhhhhhaaaaahaaaaaa, if ya' catch my drift
Old 11-15-2009, 09:47 PM
SKAR

YOU BE TROLLIN

much like another member, cant think of his name, dodgerhoger, hmmmm
Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

nice. i had my motor torn down in one day (me and a buddy doin it) but we left it in the car. what head gaskets are you going to run? dont skimp out and buy the cheapo's
Old 11-15-2009, 11:21 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Looking good. Keep up the work and don't slack!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
so where did all the freon go?? hope you didn't release it into the atmosphere?? that is against federal law and can carry a fine of 30 days in jail and 4500 dolla' fine...lol bwwwwwwwahhhhhhaaaaahaaaaaa, if ya' catch my drift
lol, OH NOES!

The freon was long gone, I discharged the system over a year ago when i pulled the heads off last time. Not reolizing how much it would cost to re-charge the system, and no real intrest to find it myself I never got the system re-charged!

Originally Posted by SKAR
YOU BE TROLLIN

much like another member, cant think of his name, dodgerhoger, hmmmm
lol, yea, DodgerRoger, or some junk. Need's to go hug some tree's and leave my thread alone.

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
nice. i had my motor torn down in one day (me and a buddy doin it) but we left it in the car. what head gaskets are you going to run? dont skimp out and buy the cheapo's
Well, I was sapposed to have it done yesterday, but my girlfriends been running me ragged around the house to get little projects done. It will defently be pulled apart by the end of the week though. Probably 4-5 hour's of work max left???

I will be using Trickflow's O-ringed gasket that match's these heads. There the only ones I can be really sure of that will fit the O-ring that is macined into the head. Id rather have some Fel-pro's or something, As thats whats on the car right now is there 1011-1 gasket I belive. But with the O-ringing stuff, its gotta be right.

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Looking good. Keep up the work and don't slack!
haha, I will keep up the work, but im sure there will be a bit of slacking. Having a garage make's me lazy about working on the car.

But I desperatly want it to run again, and to have the job complete. Plus the extra 70+ horse power is a good motivator.

I have a few part's to wait on, and a few odd job's that will slow me down, but I hope to have it running in a month.

Last edited by 302army187; 11-16-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

BTW, when i use to have the underdrive pulley's on the alternator, I had a ton of charging issues. Main one was the car trying to die in traffic.

Well I went out and bought the most powerful "cheap" battery I could find. Which in the first picture you see. It was $90 and has been a great battery, VERY powerful. But I was kinda shocked with I threw it on the scale.

I was expecting 35lb's, but this huge SOB was 43.5lb's!!!!

I need to get that thing off the nose of the car, and in the trunk ASAP!

Quick Reply: 302Army187's teardown/head;cam swap thread.