MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   302 5.0 heads which one to choose ? (http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/579136-302-5-0-heads-which-one-to-choose.html)

centipede3001 12-28-2009 09:20 PM

302 5.0 heads which one to choose ?
 
im rebuilding a 302 5.0 motor for my mustang and im looking to keep it street legal but add some horses. I was originally going to go with a cobra intake and the gt40 heads but now im second guessing if the gt40 heads are worth while or if i should go with something else that will give me more power then the gt40 heads.
What are some good heads for the 5.0 motors?
Thanks

AdderMk2 12-28-2009 09:59 PM

whats your budget?

centipede3001 12-28-2009 10:42 PM

id like to stay under 1000

AdderMk2 12-28-2009 10:53 PM

then either look for some used Trickflow heads, or deal with the fact that you dont have enough money to do this job correctly

luckythirteen13 12-28-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdderMk2 (Post 6717294)
then either look for some used Trickflow heads, or deal with the fact that you dont have enough money to do this job correctly

i think even TF heads are out of his budget because even if you get the heads for under $1000 you still need head gaskets, intake gaskets, head bolts or studs, roller rockers, push rods and an intake/tb that compliments the heads.......not to mention while your doing heads and intake its a smart idea to do a cam

mendez4047 12-28-2009 11:33 PM

dont make the mistake I did, I bought Procomps because they are cheap on ebay, thankfuly some idiot bought them off me...Just save your money and take the advice these guys give you

jthorn9 12-28-2009 11:48 PM

Every now and then you can find deal on ebay for GT-40 X303 heads which are quite a bit better than their iron GT-40 counterparts. All the other brands are probably going to run you over $1000, even used.

TTaylor 12-29-2009 01:20 PM

Even if you are fortunate enough to find a used set of aluninum heads if you have them freshened before you install them you'll more than likely spend more than a grand.On the other hand you could get a used set of iron gt40's have them ported and they will make good power or the gt40 p's are another option.

Hamutoff 12-29-2009 01:53 PM

What year, make, model car...

Steps #1 Wait and build up funds #2 (a)Buy AFR 165cc 50 state legal heads or (b)trickflow 50 state legal or (c) something not as effective #3 use brand new gaskets, check your lifters, pushrods, change your timing set, get decent rocker arms, or #4 move directly to FAIL.

GT40P heads are an option if you want to pass the sniffer but they are NOT 50 state legal do not kid yourself. Even though they reasonably SHOULD be legal as they are production ford heads for 5.0 and the newest and most efficient design; they were able to remove the air passage because the heads burned cleaner than previous heads - yet for some #$!!#*% reason THE MAN lacks a check box in his list of stuff he's prepared to allow you to do regardless of logic, air quality/pollution, reason, or saving the world...

Gt40 heads are an option, could be your cheapest, also I would feel maybe a bit better buying used iron vs aluminum, maybe its just me..

nacanitihs 12-29-2009 02:39 PM

this guy has the heads i have for sale http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1187632

granted i payed $600 for mine but these ones have a bit more work into them i guess

sgarrelts01 12-29-2009 09:32 PM

if your patient and check craigslist and things like that you will be able to find a good deal. I just bought a set of AFR 185 heads, brand new never even put on a car and started for 1,000. Given i have to buy rockers for them, but i think thats a hell of a deal.

luckythirteen13 12-29-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgarrelts01 (Post 6719341)
if your patient and check craigslist and things like that you will be able to find a good deal. I just bought a set of AFR 185 heads, brand new never even put on a car and started for 1,000. Given i have to buy rockers for them, but i think thats a hell of a deal.

exactly, patients is the key

centipede3001 12-29-2009 10:22 PM

ok well i can go over 1000 but id like to stay as close as possible
are cast iron heads better then aluminum?
and if i upgrade my heads is the cobra r intake still a good intake to use ?

centipede3001 12-29-2009 10:24 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/190cc...Q5fAccessories

What about these heads are they anything worth while ? i know i would have to buy everything for them becuase they are just the base heads but would they be better then the gt40s ?

AdderMk2 12-29-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centipede3001 (Post 6719450)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/190cc...Q5fAccessories

What about these heads are they anything worth while ? i know i would have to buy everything for them becuase they are just the base heads but would they be better then the gt40s ?


you realize those are bare... and steel, right.

Its gonna cost you another ~500-800 to get those into usable condition

just keep the GT40's

centipede3001 12-29-2009 10:35 PM

yeah well say it cost 800 thats only about 1200 for them would that be worth it i really dont know much about this stuff so if you were building this motor what would you go with on heads and an intake?

greenstreak9205 12-29-2009 11:27 PM

well if you say you want to stay close to 1000 then you cant spend 1200 on just the heads. you'll still have to buy gaskets and supporting mods to make everything work together. nacanitihs posted a link to another forum that has a great classified section. look in there and scrounge around for heads and such. you should be able to find a (good) set for around 900. then remember you'll need intake and head gaskets at the very minimum. but to do it all correctly you'll want and intake and cam to make it work together. then you'll need bigger injectors, throttle body...

pgw inc 12-30-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mendez4047 (Post 6717393)
dont make the mistake I did, I bought Procomps because they are cheap on ebay, thankfuly some idiot bought them off me...Just save your money and take the advice these guys give you

A ANOTHER PRO COMP NIGTH MARE WHAT HAPPENED WHEN U BOLTED THEM ON

centipede3001 12-31-2009 12:31 AM

i found a guy who is selling new redone heads they are cast iron gt40 heads it comes with the rockers for 800
Is this a good deal it seems to be the best ive found so far

sgarrelts01 12-31-2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centipede3001 (Post 6721806)
i found a guy who is selling new redone heads they are cast iron gt40 heads it comes with the rockers for 800
Is this a good deal it seems to be the best ive found so far

imo no its not a good deal.

To me it seems like your rushing into buying a set of heads and that will be the biggest mistake you will make.

Take your time, look around, always good deals to be had. Corral forums always has Eddy heads and Trick Flow from 800-1000

If you rush your going to get something you don't want.

But its your money, i can't tell you what to do.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.